Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

bleep down Problem

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 triad_cowboy

triad_cowboy

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:26 AM

Posted 22 January 2012 - 11:35 AM

HP Pavilion 735n
Windows XP Home
Version 2002
SP3

This computer was giving to me to do as I wish. I was told that Her son deleted "a bunch of stuff." A bunch of stuff is what worries me LOL!
I dont know what all been deleted? Documents, pictures, System files..... :crazy:

My problem is simple to explain, not to sure about repairing. I went to shut it down and it rebooted. Thinking I may have, click reboot I allow the computer to completely reboot and go through the process of shutting down again, being sure to click "Shut down"
The computer again reboots.
I have run scans with Malwarebytes and Superantispyware and both shows that the computer is clean.

Edited by triad_cowboy, 22 January 2012 - 03:49 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,548 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2012 - 12:51 PM

System Specs

HP Support Webpage

Backup/restore HP Webpage

IMO, the best thing that you can do (IMO) is restore the system to factory defaults, following guidance by HP:

"You may not need to have recovery discs to perform a System Recovery. The recovery information is contained on a partition on the hard drive. Recovery discs are necessary in case the recovery partition is not functioning properly. If your computer originally came with Windows 7 or Vista, turn on the computer and repeatedly press F11 to access the recovery information on the hard drive. If your computer originally came with Windows XP or earlier, press F10 to enter recovery. For more information about System Recovery, see one of the following HP Support documents: Performing an HP System Recovery in Windows 7 Performing an HP System Recovery in Windows Vista Performing an HP System Recovery in Windows XP It is strongly recommended that you create a recovery disc set soon after acquiring your computer. If recovery discs are not created and the recovery partition is damaged or erased, you will need to find a set of recovery discs that matches your model number from the Internet or install a new operating system."

That minimizes the potential for old problems...to be an issue with a new user.

Louis

#3 triad_cowboy

triad_cowboy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2012 - 06:53 PM

Louis, Thx for your response, however your solution didnt work. Using the system recovery console failed to fix the problem. Doing reseach on my own, I changed a few things in the system property windows, actually the startup and recovery windows to be more precise, to not allow the computer to restart after a system failure.

Doing so produce the following BSOD error OX0000007E. This seems to be a common problem with many possible causes, likewise many possible solutions. Some of the possible causes included a corrupt registry, new hardware or software, low harddrive free space and more. We can eliminate new software, and low Harddrive space.
The only new hardware installed recently is a video/graphic card, since the intergrated card failed. Assuming that this could be the cause of the problem, I have ran the installed CD, even though Plug and Played reconized the new hardware. I have even removed and reseated the new card.

I really do not know which direction to head now any suggestions?

Edited by hamluis, 22 January 2012 - 08:15 PM.
Removed color.

#4 a_cup

a_cup

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2012 - 07:16 PM

Hi triad-cowboy,

Check the video card manufacturers site for updated drivers. Check event viewer and see if you can get a source of the error. Check device manager and look for any yellow !.

This error could also be caused by infections or bad ram.

Pauline

edited to include bad ram/infections

Edited by a_cup, 22 January 2012 - 07:18 PM.

#5 triad_cowboy

triad_cowboy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2012 - 08:04 PM

Pauline, Thx I ahead of you :) As stated in original post, no infection, malicious programs located....

Seems to be a hardware conflict between the old intergrated video card and the new one...

#6 a_cup

a_cup

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2012 - 09:03 PM

Glad you were able to find the problem. :thumbup2:

Have a great day,
Pauline

#7 triad_cowboy

triad_cowboy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2012 - 09:22 PM

Pauline, The problem is not solved yet....

#8 triad_cowboy

triad_cowboy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2012 - 09:42 PM

I have narrow this problem down to a conflict between the two Video/graphic cards. I need to know how to "Permanently" disable the intergrated card. Doing so in Device manager only disables it until the next reboot. I have also try uninstalling it in device manager. I have also gone to add and remove programs and remove any associated programs there. Upon reboot, the intergrated card is listed again in Device manager and the uninstall program is listed back in ADD and Remove programs.
I have read "some" intergrated cards will need to be disable in the BIOS. This Option is not available. However, it is Set to have the PCI card as priority.

#9 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2012 - 09:57 PM

Hi

Sometimes to disable the onboard video adapter, you need to set a jumper on the motherboard. Do you know the manufacturer/model# of the computer or even better, the manufacturer/model# of the motherboard. With that information someone here may be able to tell you what you would need to do to disable the onboard video.

James

#10 triad_cowboy

triad_cowboy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2012 - 10:06 PM

James the model of computer is available in my original post.

I am looking for the name of MB now,

Thx

#11 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2012 - 10:43 PM

James the model of computer is available in my original post.

I am looking for the name of MB now,

Thx

I'm sorry about missing that.

Okay, setting the PCI card as priority in the BIOS entry was all that would be needed.

The failure of the onboard video may be a sign of a deeper issue which is causing the current problems. If you haven't already tried it, put the new video adapter in a different PCI slot and see if that works.

If I had to make a guess I would look for a problem with the RAM. The onboard video for that motherboard allocates a specific area of the RAM for video memory. If there is a problem with any of the memory addresses in that space, you are not going to be able to use that video adapter because it will try to grab the same addresses everytime it starts. If you put in a new video card, it will use its own memory that is supplied on the card and you will get video out but eventually, it or some other device is going to want to use system memory and the system will point it to the same area that the onboard video was using. The area with the bad address.

I could very well be wrong but it is definitely the first thing I would test.

I haven't had to test memory in an XP install in quite sometime so maybe someone else here can tell you the best way to test your memory for errors. I always used Microsofts tool for XP but that requires you to burn a special CD and it is built into Windows 7 (which I now use) so there may be an easier way to check it these days.

Can anyone else make a recommendation?

Thanks
James

#12 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:26 PM

Posted 22 January 2012 - 10:51 PM

I need to know how to "Permanently" disable the intergrated card

Isn't the BIOS setup responsible for this changes? Some are auto disabled while others are manually done.

Tekken

#13 triad_cowboy

triad_cowboy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2012 - 11:24 PM

Jhayz,

I would have to agree with the BIOS being responsible for the cahnges.
I have changed the BIOS setting to have the PCI card as primary. There is no other options availble for the video. Following the advice of a HP trouble shooting article, I have reset the BIOS and then set the PCI Card as Primary. Other articles related to this is to broad of a subject... if that makes sense, they are more like possible causes and solutions which I do not wish to attempt..
Short of replacing the MB.... I at my wits end :crazy:

#14 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,540 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2012 - 11:27 PM

The only way to disable the on board video is to insert another video card into one of the AGP or PCI slots.

Your best bet, as system was given to you, is to do a clean install of Windows.
All drivers are available at the HP site.
That really is the way to go in this case.
Then you ensured a pristine installation.

Has the recovery partition been deleted?
What happens when you try to run the system recovery?
I think it is F10 on startup in HP's but I might be mistaken
In the beginning there was the command line.

#15 triad_cowboy

triad_cowboy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2012 - 11:37 PM

Eyesee,

System restore was successful, but did not fix the problem. Afterwards, I attempted to use the intergrated card and had no display. While connecting I did notice "more than what i would consider" movement on that connector... indicating they may be a loose connection there and be the problem why it will not work...Short of taking the MB out I cannot tell for sure one way or the other. :angry:
F10 is correct for this model

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users