Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can only boot in safe mode.

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 A.N.

A.N.

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:29 AM

Posted 22 January 2012 - 10:46 AM

Hello,

I turned off my laptop last night, and this morning, it will only boot in safe mode. I did not make any changes recently on my computer except for:
1. Yesterday, I updated Firefox to the newest version (9?), and installed an updated Fast Dial add on. Other add ons might have been updated too. (I am 95% sure I installed Fastdial 3.6 and not 3.6dev from https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/fast-dial-5721/versions/?page=1#version-3.6 and http://userlogos.org/ -- I did download it from 2 places, but it did not work or show up with Firefox 9)
2. My CD drive has been broken (pieces falling out) for about a week.
3. I had changed what drivers loaded on start up. (But I changed this back to default in safe mode, and the computer still booted in safe mode.)
4. I installed VLC media player about a week ago.

I have Norton Internet Security, but I don't seem to be able to run a system scan in safe mode.
I don't seem to be able to connect to the internet in safe mode. It says, "The dependency service or group failed to start."
I cannot open Firefox, but I can open IE.
I don't seem to be able to update or manage device drivers through the Device Manager in safe mode.

I had done sysem restore for the two avaliable restore points listed (oldest from 1/17), and that has not changed anything.

I don't know how to read the event viewer, but there are lots of errors there: 10,183 events since 4/29/2009. All of the ones from today (1/22) are from "Service Control Manager Eventlog Provider." And say things like, "The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load: ADF" and a whole lot of other errors from "A device attatched to the system is not functioning" to information about error 1084 for DCOM. The last three from yesterday are: "WLAN AutoConfig service has sucessfuly stopped," "The name '(my name) :1d' could not be registered on the interface with the IP address (ip address). The computer with the IP address (ip address) did not allow the names to be claimed by this computer," and "The entry <C:\users\(my name)\appdata\roaming\mozilla\firefox\profiles\qtqpnxnq.default\extensions\staged\fastdial@telega.phpnet.us\chrome\content\thumbnail> in the hash map cannot be updated."

Thank you in advance for your help. This is my first post here, so please let me know if you need additional details as I am not sure what is helpful. The (unnamed company's) IT rep recomended doing a full system default restore (?) which would erase all files and programs, so I hope there is another solution.

Thank you again!!!! Any help would be wonderful! :)

Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium
6.00.6002 Service Pack build 2 build 6001

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2012 - 10:53 AM

//The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load: ADF"///

Can you post the detailed error message of this specific error(7026) service control manager

#3 A.N.

A.N.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2012 - 11:00 AM

I think I did this correctly. Please let me know if you need something else.

Level Date and Time Source Event ID Task Category
Error 1/22/2012 8:44:26 AM Service Control Manager 7026 None "The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load:
AFD
ASPI32
BHDrvx86
DfsC
eeCtrl
IDSVix86
NetBIOS
netbt
nsiproxy
PSched
RasAcd
rdbss
Smb
spldr
SRTSPX
SymIRON
SYMTDIv
tdx
Wanarpv6"

#4 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2012 - 11:03 AM

Download norton removal tool

ftp://ftp.symantec.com/public/english_us_canada/removal_tools/Norton_Removal_Tool.exe

Launch it and uninstall norton,restart the PC

See if you can boot into normal mode

Good luck

#5 A.N.

A.N.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2012 - 11:06 AM

Thank you! I will try this this afternoon.

#6 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2012 - 11:08 AM

:thumbup2:

#7 A.N.

A.N.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2012 - 02:01 PM

It didn't work. It still booted in safe mode with no other options. :( Is there a next step that I can try? -Thanks.

#8 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:29 AM

Posted 22 January 2012 - 03:25 PM

Have you tried "Last Known Good Configuration" on the Advanced Options menu? Do you have a "Repair my Computer" option on that page?

Regards,
Brooks

#9 A.N.

A.N.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2012 - 03:55 PM

No. I had not tried the "last known configuration." I just tried it though, and it still booted in safe mode. Even after another restart and try.

And, yes. I do have a "repair my computer" option. Should I try that?

Thank you.

#10 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2012 - 04:24 PM

Try "Repair your computer"
  • Select a keyboard layout, and then click Next.
  • Select a user name and enter the password, and then click OK.
  • On the System Recovery Options menu, click Startup Repair.
  • Startup Repair might prompt you to make choices as it tries to fix the problem and, if necessary, it might restart your computer as it makes repairs.

Regards,
Brooks

#11 A.N.

A.N.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2012 - 04:40 PM

It says, "Startup Repair could not detect a problem. . . . If you have recently attached a device to this computer . . . remove it and restart your computer. If you continue to see this message, comtact your system administrator or computer manufacturer for assistance."

(If it makes a difference, it did not let me log in as the administrator, but only as myself.)

#12 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2012 - 05:32 PM

In Safe Mode, go to "MSConfig", "Boot" tab and make sure that "Safe Mode" isn't checked.

Let's try running System File Checker from safe mode:
  • Enter safe mode.
  • Click "Start" and type" cmd
  • Right mouse click on "cmd.exe" at the top of the list and select "Run as administrator."
  • At the "C:\Windows\System32" prompt, type: sfc /scannow then press <Enter>. (Note the "space" between the "c" and the "/")
  • This could take a while and hopefully fix some missing system files. It may ask for a Windows Vista installation disk (since your CDROM drive is broken) continue anyway.
  • Make note of any message is when it finishes.

Regards,
Brooks

#13 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2012 - 07:04 PM

As arthooks said,make sure safeboot is unchecked,if that doesnt work

Download

http://support.kaspersky.com/downloads/utils/tdsskiller.exe

Launch it,click on SCAN,let me know if it finds any infections.

Please post the details of latest Service control manager(7026) error.

You can also try a CLEAN BOOT into normal mode

How to do a clean boot

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310353

Good luck

#14 A.N.

A.N.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2012 - 07:44 PM

Oh . . . my . . . goodness!! Thank you so much, narenxp and Artrooks, for your help and patience. I really appreciate it. My computer is working again. This forum is wonderful, and I will recommend it to any friend with computer troubles.

I have no idea why or how it got checked (and I feel a bit silly for not knowing that option existed), but the msconfig "safe mode" box was checked. I was able to uncheck it and reboot normally. All of my programs worked fine except for Firefox which refused to open. I uninstalled and reinstalled Firefox wihout add-ons, and it now works fine, even with the add-ons reinstalled. (Maybe my Firefox update did something strange? - No idea.)

Anyways, thank you, thank you, thank you!!!! :D

#15 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2012 - 07:46 PM

:thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users