Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Microsoft Word - dll error message + can't repair/uninstall

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 HeadDesk

HeadDesk

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:40 PM

Posted 22 January 2012 - 07:07 AM

Hi all,

I'm using Windows Vista and am suddenly unable to open any of my Microsoft Word 2007 documents. (Which means I can't recover my CV for this upcoming job :( )

When I try I get the following error message -
"C:\Programs Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\oart.dll is either not designed to run on Windows or it contains an error. Try installing the program again using the original installation media or contact your system administrator or the software vendor for support."

On Googling the error message I saw that file was a security risk and followed the instruction in the topic, which was to open appwiz.cpl and then repair Microsoft Office 2007. But that didn't work, and I got the error message of - "Error 1310 C:config.msi\1151431.rbf Verify access". I received the same error message when I tried to uninstall, so I was unable to uninstall and reinstall the program.

Thanks in advance for any help, HeadDesk.

Edited by hamluis, 22 January 2012 - 09:56 AM.
Moved from Vista to Business Applications.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,290 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2012 - 09:56 AM

I would uninstall/reinstall Office 2007.

You can try using Revo Uninstaller if normal uninstall procedures don't work (via Add/Remove Programs).

Louis

#3 HeadDesk

HeadDesk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2012 - 11:30 PM

Thanks, normal Add/Remove doesn't work so I will try the Revo uninstaller.

#4 HeadDesk

HeadDesk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2012 - 10:27 AM

Ok, I downloaded and installed Revo, started by trying to uninstall Microsoft Powerpoint - I got this error message.

"This patch package could not be opened. Verify that the patch package exists and that you can access it, or contact the application vendor to verify that this is a valid Windows Installer patch package."

I closed the error message and scanned anyway, but hesitated to delete the leftover items using 'select all' as I didn't want to accidentally wipe something necessary... so anyway I get an error message and the icon is still visible on Revo.

Help please? :(

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,290 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2012 - 03:30 PM

I would try MS Fixit .

Louis

#6 HeadDesk

HeadDesk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2012 - 01:46 AM

Sorry for the delay, I've been sick and my computer has been freezing/crashing when I try to do things.
I think I know what caused the initial problem, and it's my own noobish fault. I recently got Kaspersky and possibly deleted an important dll file because it was a security risk.

I tried MS Fixit like Luis said, and the result was a message saying any problems installing/uninstalling were fixed. So MS Word is uninstalled.
But when I try to reinstall I get an error message about being unable to write to oart.dll office 12, I'm assuming because it's no longer there.

It's a risk, but I saw someone else downloaded the oart.dll again and they say the file is clean... maybe if I download the replacement dll file I'll be able to reinstall Word. Am I on the right track?

Thanks, HeadDesk

Edited by HeadDesk, 19 February 2012 - 01:47 AM.

#7 HeadDesk

HeadDesk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2012 - 12:51 PM

Ok, my hard drive died and I bought a new computer so this topic has been rendered moot!

Thanks for your help everyone, much appreciated.

HeadDesk

#8 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:40 AM

Posted 25 February 2012 - 11:30 PM

Thanks for letting us know.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users