Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Microsoft Anti-spyware Deleting Norton Anti-virus

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 -David-

-David-

• Members
  • 10,603 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:30 AM

Posted 12 February 2006 - 07:57 AM

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/securityfix...deleting_1.html

By Brian Krebs

"Microsoft's Anti-Spyware program is causing troubles for people who also use Symantec's Norton Anti-Virus software; apparently, a recent update to Microsoft's anti-spyware application flags Norton as a password-stealing program and prompts users to remove it.

According to several different support threads over at Microsoft's user groups forum, the latest definitions file from Microsoft "(version 5805, 5807) detects Symantec Antivirus files as PWS.Bancos.A (Password Stealer)."

When Microsoft Anti-Spyware users remove the flagged Norton file as prompted, Symantec's product gets corrupted and no longer protects the user's machine. The Norton user then has to go through the Windows registry and delete multiple entries (registry editing is always a dicey affair that can quickly hose a system if the user doesn't know what he or she is doing) so that the program can be completely removed and re-installed."

David

(Moderator edit: By-line and quotation marks inserted,content reduced to comply with fair use. jgweed)

Edited by jgweed, 12 February 2006 - 12:32 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 thunderpuppy

thunderpuppy

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:00 AM

Posted 13 February 2006 - 01:56 AM

It wanted to del my Norton IS all2gether. No way billy boy i want control over my own box. c asyset.com pup

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,576 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:30 AM

Posted 13 February 2006 - 05:53 AM

Microsoft AntiSpyware Definitions Update #5807 corrected this false-positive.

http://forums.subratam.org/index.php?showt...view=getnewpost
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users