Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Restore failed Error code = 0x45

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 mende59

mende59

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:01 AM

Posted 22 January 2012 - 04:10 AM

Trying to restore Emachine E28 laptop.
After last install disk runs I receive the following message:
Restore failed. Error code = 045 (WIM ApplyImage cannot apply image. the request could not be performed because of an I/O device error.)
Have tried almost everything I can think of but no results.
Would someone be able to help?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

Bleeps with the fishes...

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2012 - 08:58 AM

Please clarify what you mean by "restore", system restore? Repair? Restore to factory condition using the built in recovery console? Using restore disks? Did you create/purchase/download & burn the restore disc set?

What symptoms/behavior/ problems...etc led you attempting to restore? Any recent hardware/software/changes/problems that may or may not contribute to these problems? Potential helpers need more to go on.

Just my .02 :)

#3 mende59

mende59
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2012 - 09:52 AM

Its my son's laptop. He says he did not make any changes to the laptop with new software of hardware. But all errors point to a change.
Running Windows 7 Premium.

I am trying to restore to factory settings.

Tried the original installation CDs making my primary boot the CD; Got as far as third CD when I got an error message:
"Restore failed Error code = 0x45 (WIMApplyImage cannot apply image. the request could not be performed because of an I/O device error."

Tried: F8
restoring by Erecovery utilizing the feature in laptop (F8);
restoring utilizing last known good configuration (F8);
accessing Windows in safemode this also failed.
Reverted back to Windows Boot Manager window with a Status " 0xc000000f error Info: Windows failed to load because the NLS data is missing, or corrupt.

Edited by mende59, 22 January 2012 - 09:53 AM.

#4 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2012 - 11:08 AM

Have you tried running Startup Repair? (sometimes it may take running up to 3 times to fully repair) Have you tried sfc scannow from a command prompt at the advanced boot option or in windows?

Posted Image

Was Windows 7 pre-installed on the laptop or is this an upgrade from Vista/other?

Have you run the appropriate HDD diagnostic tool to rule out a failing HDD?

EDIT TO ADD Previously asked:

What symptoms/behavior/ problems...etc led you attempting to restore?

Edited by Union_Thug, 22 January 2012 - 11:11 AM.

#5 mende59

mende59
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2012 - 09:19 PM

Window 7 was pre-installed on laptop.
I have not been able to get past the error messages to access anything on the hard drive.
I have run Windows Memory Diagnostics Tool. Cannot obtain a report as the screen reverts back to: "Windows Boot Manager window with a Status " 0xc000000f error Info: Windows failed to load because the NLS data is missing, or corrupt."
My son says he turned on the laptop and it went to Boot Manager with above message.
Could it have been Malware or a virus that caused this? If so how can I run a scan without windows?
Have not accessed the screen indicated in your message. How do I get to that screen?
How do I run the HDD diagnostic tool?

Edited by mende59, 22 January 2012 - 09:35 PM.

#6 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2012 - 08:07 AM

>>>How do I get to that screen?<<<

Boot to the Advanced Boot Options in Win 7 http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/666-advanced-boot-options.html?ltr=A

Boot to the System Recovery Options in Win 7 http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/668-system-recovery-options.html

>>>How do I run the HDD diagnostic tool?<<<

http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=287

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users