Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is a hard shutdown bad?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 MalwareWarrior

MalwareWarrior

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:31 PM

Posted 22 January 2012 - 03:58 AM

Very rarely, my computer moves extremely slow, specifically when it's playing a video on YouTube with less than half of its battery life. When it gets like that,
I have to use the power button on the laptop itself to shut it off by holding it for a few seconds. I've been researching this and i have heard mostly bad things about shutting off your computer this way. Mostly corrupting the OS or software. As I type this message the computer seems to be working fine, however, what i want to know is if my files (Like my iTunes stuff) or the system itself is damaged at all. I'm using Windows 7 64 Bit. Any help is appreciated
EDIT: I just now discovered Event Viewer. Apparently shutting the computer off using the power button is a "Critical" event, has an event id of 41, task category of 63, and the source is Kernel-Power. This happened 87 times starting from September 25, 2011. Ouch.

Edited by MalwareWarrior, 22 January 2012 - 04:26 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,671 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:31 AM

Posted 22 January 2012 - 08:37 AM

The worst that will happen is if there are data being written to the hd they won't be saved and there may be some minor file corruption. After one or two hard shutdowns it's a good idea to run chkdsk /r

#3 MalwareWarrior

MalwareWarrior
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2012 - 02:46 PM

I'm attempting to run chkdsk /r, but when the command prompt window opens, it immediately closes. It says "Access denied as you do not have sufficent privileges. You have to invoke this utility running in elevated mode."

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,671 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2012 - 06:41 PM

Right-click on the command prompt and open as administrator

#5 MalwareWarrior

MalwareWarrior
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2012 - 08:49 PM

I just ran the chkdsk.exe file by right clicking it and clicking run as administrator before I read your post. I'm assuming that chkdsk automatically fixes any problems it finds after it's finished, because as soon as it finished, it immediately closed, so that didn't give me enough time to read the results. Anyway, I restarted the computer properly after running chkdsk, and so far no issues, but I have a question. If i ripped a CD into iTunes, and then a few hours later the computer would move slow or freeze, requiring a hard shutdown, does that mean the CD files I just ripped are corrupted? Thanks in advance.

#6 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,671 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2012 - 07:57 AM

You did not run checkdisk. Checkdisk on the system partition needs to run at boot. Please follow the instructions EXACTLY:

Right-click on a command prompt icon and open as administrator. In the command prompt window type: chkdsk /r (then press ENTER). You'll be told the disk is in use and asked if you want to run checkdisk on the next boot. Say yes, exit the command prompt window, and reboot.

#7 MalwareWarrior

MalwareWarrior
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2012 - 03:20 PM

OK, i did it the right way. It said "The volume is clean."

#8 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,671 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2012 - 04:50 PM

Okay.

#9 MalwareWarrior

MalwareWarrior
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2012 - 01:25 AM

One more question: are any files that I downloaded prior to the hard shutdown corrupted?

#10 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:31 PM

Posted 24 January 2012 - 02:02 AM

Any files downloaded, copied or saved(past or finished) is not corrupted. See this link of scenario 2.

Tekken

#11 MalwareWarrior

MalwareWarrior
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2012 - 03:51 AM

Thank you! That's relieving to read.

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,562 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:31 AM

Posted 24 January 2012 - 01:36 PM

FWIW: Files get corrupted all the time, for varying reasons.

Causes of Data Corruption - http://ezinearticles.com/?Causes-of-Data-Corruption&id=817785

Data corruption and loss causes and avoidance - http://www.thexlab.com/faqs/datacorruption.html

Louis

#13 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:31 AM

Posted 24 January 2012 - 03:00 PM

a hard shutdown can be be bad ,i do it a lot on computer that i work on with out any problem but if done at the wrong time it can be costly .as already said usually only files that are open or in use at the time of the shutdown will be in danger ,or file stored on the desktop ,and chkdsk will not retrieve these file

a neighbor of mine [very new to computer ]recently started shutting down his computer ,he use to leave it run 24/7,his method of shutdown was the power button ,not the start/shutdown method
, he got this error message one morning after shutting down the night before ,Windows XP could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SOFTWARE ,needless to say it would not boot to windows ,i did the file rename fix using recovery console and had to reinstall all programs i originally put on after install winxp a few months ago

Edited by caperjac, 24 January 2012 - 03:05 PM.

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#14 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,671 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2012 - 03:10 PM

a neighbor of mine [very new to computer ]recently started shutting down his computer ,he use to leave it run 24/7,his method of shutdown was the power button ,not the start/shutdown method
, he got this error message one morning after shutting down the night before ,Windows XP could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SOFTWARE ,needless to say it would not boot to windows ,i did the file rename fix using recovery console and had to reinstall all programs i originally put on after install winxp a few months ago

A hard shutdown will not cause a corrupt registry hive. More likely, the problem with that hive was the reason your neighbor had problems shutting down in the first place.

#15 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:31 AM

Posted 24 January 2012 - 03:30 PM

A hard shutdown will not cause a corrupt registry hive. More likely, the problem with that hive was the reason your neighbor had problems shutting down in the first place.

they were not having any issue shutting dow there computer ,as i said in my post they didn't shut it down ,left it run 24/7 ,when they decide to start turning it off they chose the power button

I beg to differ and so does microsoft .this from the link below

The Registry Is Written to at Shutdown
If one or two registry hives consistently become corrupted for no reason, the problem probably occurs at shutdown and is not discovered until you try to load the registry hive at the next restart. In this scenario, the registry hive is written to disk when you shut down the computer, and this process may stop the computer or a component in the computer before the writing is completed.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822705

and it's been going on for years ,me in this link posting [3rd post in thread ]a microsoft link to a fix way back in 2003 .[time to get a real life i think lol]
http://www.daniweb.com/hardware-and-software/microsoft-windows/windows-nt-2000-xp/threads/2290

Edited by caperjac, 24 January 2012 - 03:36 PM.

My answers are my opinion only,usually

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users