Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Vista home basic win32\Alureon removal

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Eymber

Eymber

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:30 PM

Posted 22 January 2012 - 03:25 AM

I'm currently not on the computer that is having the issues, so I need to know what information to post in my next reply. I'm waiting on the computer to finish the windows updates that snuck in while I was running my virus scanner before it restarts.

--edit--
In my haste I didnt read the pinned topics.

Ok, I'm working with an emachines model EL1200, running windows vista home basic. When I got the computer, I ran malwarebytes, and it came up with a laundrylist of things that were wrong with it. I will post that log when i have access to it. I asked malwarebytes to clean the computer, and it did so. However, there were still some things that weren't working. Remove Programs, any Internet access, All of the icons on the taskbar, the accessorys file in the start menu had disappeared, All the user data (documents, pictures, and music) had been set to read only-hidden, and it was still very sluggish.

So I moved the user data to a flash drive, and did the only thing that I knew to do. Re-image the computer. I only had a copy of windows xp pro 64bit and so I researched the computer specs and was under the impression that it was compatable with the hardware. I deleted all four partitions, and installed the xp. It surely was not compatable. The LAN drivers proved to be impossible to find.. So I got a Vista disk from my tech friend and restarted the computer, booting to the disk. it didnt ask me if I wanted to format, so I'm thinking that's where i got screwed.

Vista installed beautifully and I was able to connect to the internet immediately. I installed Microsoft Security Essentials, and while it was running it's scan, I downloaded firefox cause I hate internet explorer. Then MSE popped up that there was a severe level threat and that it was called win32\Alureon I tried to remove it but it said that it was unable to do so. Error code 0x80501001 Not gonna lie... I tried to make it remove it like 4 times.

Anyways, I went to microsoft support, they transfered me to advicetech or something like that. the dude that I talked with wanted me to download some stuff and run scans and let him know what came up, then he told me that after 15 minutes, I would have to pay him $100 for help. I happily said 'Or not...' And went on my merry way.

He recommended to me that I should run
MSERT.exe from microsoft.com (Microsoft Anti-Malware Signature package)
then clean what comes up in the scan.
Then he said that I needed to enter safe mode, delete all temp files, delete everything in %temp%, search for protection center and delete all of that, then run the Microsoft Malicious software removal tool, then run kaspersky's root kit.

I want a second opinion. I don't wanna do all of that if I actually have this Alureon rootkit... cause everything that I have read is telling me that there's really no point in doing it cause I'm just going to have to scrub my hard drive.

Discuss.

Edited by Eymber, 22 January 2012 - 03:53 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:30 PM

Posted 22 January 2012 - 09:19 AM

Download

TDSSkiller

Launch it Click on "Scan".Please post the LOG report

Please download GMER from here

http://www2.gmer.net/download.php

Temporarily disable any real-time active protection so your security programs will not conflict with gmer's driver.

GMER will open to the Rootkit/Malware tab and perform an automatic Full Scan when first run. (do not use the computer while the scan is in progress)

If you receive a WARNING!!! about rootkit activity and are asked to fully scan your system...click NO.
Now click the Scan button. If you see a rootkit warning window, click OK.
When the scan is finished, click the Save... button to save the scan results to your Desktop. Save the file as gmer.log.
Click the Copy button and paste the results into your next reply.

Download

aswMBR

Launch it, allow it to download latest Avast! virus definitions
Click the "Scan" button to start scan.After scan finishes,click on Save log

Post the log results here

#3 Eymber

Eymber
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:30 PM

Posted 25 January 2012 - 09:33 PM

Thank you, I actually got it fixed :D Luckily I was able to get the documents and pictures and music off, then just did a scrub of the harddrive and re-installed vista. I appreciate your help though, if I hadn't been able to salvage the personal files, I would have needed that!

#4 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:30 PM

Posted 25 January 2012 - 09:57 PM

Thanks for letting us know :clapping:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users