Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Organizing my Outlook 2010 pst files

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 avz10

avz10

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:15 PM

Posted 22 January 2012 - 02:47 AM

The C drive of my computer recently crashed and I had to import pst files into Outlook from various sources where I have stored it in the past. This lead to duplicates, numerous pst files and missing emails.

Posted Image

I have now more than 5 GB of emails.

The programs I could find on the internet were mostly trial versions that did not help. I bought Advanced Outlook Repair, which caused more duplicates!

Any help would be appreciated

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,432 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:15 AM

Posted 23 January 2012 - 05:04 PM

When importing PST files you should only import the most recent version. If you import multiple PST files you will end up with the "duplicates" that you see. Each one should be nothing more than the file you imported. What you can do if you still have the various back ups is to delete the "duplicates" that are present now then import your most recent Outlook and Archive PST. That will get you as close to your crashed setup as it can be. If you have older PST and Personal files you want to pull some information from don't import them. Go into settings and and find the PST folder list. Add the second PST that way. It will show up as a second set of folders within Outlook and then you can drag the e-mails over that you want. Once you are done remove them from the PST file list and that will keep all of your e-mails in the two main folders Outlook uses.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#3 avz10

avz10
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2012 - 05:42 PM

Thanks for that
I currently have 4 types of pst folders i.e. Archive, Outlook, Personal and my email address.pst. Added on to that, I have all the "fixed" pst folders. If I am not mistaken, my email address.pst was the last one where my files were stored in (not sure that it was Outlook). I am not sure if it had a number or not (I think not). The same applies to archives. If I find the most recent ones, you suggest that I take the others from my C drive and store them on an external HD or DVDs or both? (Had 2 bad experiences with external HDs and my DVDs were the better back-up?)
Regards

#4 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,432 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:15 AM

Posted 23 January 2012 - 10:05 PM

I would use the import the most recent one you think is correct. Then add anything from the remaining files that you may need. Then I would do two things. Back up the various old files to a dvd for safe keeping along with a copy of the newly consolidated PST files. Externals are fine too since the odds of the internal and external going bad at the same time are pretty slim.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#5 avz10

avz10
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2012 - 11:57 PM

Thanks for that.

I was contemplating if I should not import everything, sort it out and export again, as I found more pst files under My Documents. But this will be a massive task.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users