Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Akamai NetSession Client

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 passngass

passngass

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:43 AM

Posted 21 January 2012 - 11:29 PM

I wanted to improve my system performance and ran across this program. Does this program serve any positive purpose or is it just another parasite I don't need?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,257 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:43 PM

Posted 22 January 2012 - 12:26 AM

It's not malicious, but you won't hurt anything by removing it.

It's from a company called Akamai Technologies. Akamai is a very popular content delivery network used by large websites and popular software applications. Akamai has placed this applet on your computer because you have installed a program that relied on Akamai (list of Akamai customers) for part of it's function. The applet is intended to make downloads from Akamai servers faster for your computer and other computers near you on the internet. It does this by creating a private peer-to-peer network, a model which is very efficient for delivering large amounts of data.

If you want to remove it without breaking anything, look through the list of Akamai customers and check for any publishers you have software from. You must decide whether you like having the program that uses Akamai more or less than not having Akamai's client. If you decide to remove the Akamai client, you can follow these instructions to do so. Uninstalling the Akamai client may not actually break any applications, but you should be prepared for that possibility if you remove it.

Edited by Andrew, 22 January 2012 - 12:32 AM.

#3 a13740342

a13740342

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:43 AM

Posted 06 September 2015 - 07:41 AM

I've been having troubles with my computer lately and I just found out this was using 25% of my bleep CPU.

http://www.computing.net/answers/security/what-loads-akamai-netsession-interface/30900.html post #5

"It did not _sneak_ in your computer" Have you ever heard of POTENTIALLY UNWANTED PROGRAMS? Things that run in the background by itself that you didn't know installed itself? NOBODY reads ToA except lawyers that are paid for that, and that doesn't make it less sneaky, it makes it "legal".

Uninstalling this thing was a bleep, I can't remove the folder (which is hidden 2 directories deep in appdata), if I select it in task manager, it starts moving up and down the task list every second like it's trying to be unclickable, and as soon as I forcefully shut it down, a new process reopens immediately. Uninstalling it from the control panel took like 3-5 minutes from clicking "uninstall program" to the uninstall to actually begin, the entire time nothing seemingly happening.

As soon as I uninstalled it, my CPU usage went from 100% can't load a webpage to 15% running a big max graphics video game.

Every websites (3 total threads from 3 different small forums found on google because this program totally isn't sneaky) tells me it's trustworthy and that I shouldn't uninstall it, but this thing is a virus if I ever saw one. If you got it, get rid of it. I don't need anyone to reply to this or to tell me I'm necroing, I don't care about your favorite subforum getting 1 old post bumped up, I'm posting it because this is one of the only threads about it on the internet and I want a REAL solution to show upon Google if anyone ever has my problem, which apparently nobody on the planet did but me did.

Edited by a13740342, 06 September 2015 - 07:44 AM.

#4 a13740342

a13740342

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:43 AM

Posted 06 September 2015 - 07:48 AM

http://www.sevenforums.com/system-security/250764-why-you-need-uninstall-malware-netsession_win-exe.html CONFIRMED MALWARE.

Edited by a13740342, 06 September 2015 - 07:49 AM.

#5 Allaiyah

Allaiyah

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2016 - 12:43 AM

I know this is like super-old. but this is NOT malware. Akami Netsession is used by companies involved with distributing &preventing the hacking of Korean MMO games, so every time you play that game, Akami Netsession will reinstall.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users