Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer doesnt do anything when i turn it on

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 UNKNOWN_TERRITORY

UNKNOWN_TERRITORY

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:56 AM

Posted 21 January 2012 - 08:39 PM

hello,

When i turn on my computer the fan starts blowing on high and nothing is showing on the screen. What can i do to figure out what the issue is. i know the screen works because when i turn it on its shows "no signal".

thanks in advance

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tsimms1964

tsimms1964

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:56 AM

Posted 21 January 2012 - 08:41 PM

laptop, or desktop?

#3 UNKNOWN_TERRITORY

UNKNOWN_TERRITORY
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2012 - 10:40 PM

its a desktop.

#4 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:56 PM

Posted 22 January 2012 - 03:23 AM

Desktop model or specs? What changes before this happen? Do you see any response from the numlock led light on keyboard(press/depress)and hard drive seek blinking?

Tekken

#5 UNKNOWN_TERRITORY

UNKNOWN_TERRITORY
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2012 - 07:35 PM

Its a sony vaio...the only changes were the hard drive about 3 years ago, usb keyboard and mouse. No changes were made to the computer prior to this happening. There is no response from the numlock button. can you help me with HARD DRIVE SEEK blinking...dont know what that means

MODEL
PCV-RS420
PROCESSOR
Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor 2.80C GHz† with
Intel® Hyper-Threading Technology
CACHE MEMORY
512KB Integrated On-Die Level 2
FRONT SIDE BUS SPEED
800MHz
STANDARD RAM
512MB PC-2700 333MHz DDR (expandable to
2.0GB)
HARD DRIVE3
120GB††3 7200rpm Ultra/ATA-100 Hard Drive
DVD±RW / CD-RW DRIVE***
DVD±RW
-RW (4X max. write / 2X max. rewrite / 2X max. read)
+RW (4X max. write / 2.4X max. rewrite / 2.4X max. read)
CD-RW (16X max. write / 10X max. rewrite / 32X max. read)
CD-ROM
40X max. CD-ROM read / 16X max. CD-RW
read
FLOPPY DISK DRIVE
3.5" 1.44 MB Floppy Disk Drive
VIDEO & GRAPHICS
ATI Radeon™ 9200
64MB Video Memory (128-bit DDR)
VGA-out / DVI-Out (DVI output:1280x1024x60Hz
max.) / TV-Out
AGP 8X 3D Graphics Hardware Acceleration

#6 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2012 - 01:30 AM

Can you give a brief history going to the present problem along with the computer model? How many RAM modules are installed? The hard drive seek is a way that there is a successful POST, booting such as on other hardware installed like optical or floppy drive varying on BIOS settings. The led light indicator would prove this.

Tekken

#7 synergy513

synergy513

• BC Advisor
  • 1,058 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:56 AM

Posted 24 January 2012 - 05:30 PM

oem desktop pc user here also. there are two components that are pretty much guaranteed to go awry with this type of hardware application. first things first, chances are your power supply that came with the unit is negligibly underpowered. i would recommend listening to POST beeps for an indication that the mobo can give you. POST beep indicator patterns can be googled. a nice power supply that i purchased for my sony vaio desktop is the thermaltake 430w. not bad for $40 and all the plug-in extensions you could dream of ...another thing to consider with a new PSU purchase is volts. all the watts in the world is useless without the voltage to jam those watts through the circuit.. seeing as your fan is blasting high speed on startup, that is going on during the POST (power -on self-test). another sure thing that will go wrong is your video card (i.e. gpu). if the gpu is faulty, your pc might be doing multiple looped boot processes with no display or disarrayed pattern display showing on your monitor. if you do decide to go the power supply solution route, make sure you document all connections your existing power supply is configured to before you dismount the existing PSU (power supply unit) and install your replacement PSU. also, check the back panel on your PC for an extra port for your monitor to plug into. that would be your provided "onboard" video. if your gpu is at fault, use this auxilliary port to connect your monitor AFTER you dismount your existing gpu from the mobo.

Moore's Law : 4d Graph in Progress

#8 UNKNOWN_TERRITORY

UNKNOWN_TERRITORY
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2012 - 07:59 PM

I see different plugs on the back of the tower....which cable would i be using since it isnt the same? Also i tried listening for beeps and havent heard any.

#9 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2012 - 09:21 AM

Can you post a screenshot? The plugs usually is match or mounted from the back so there is little room for error when attaching these connectors. Just make sure they are properly seated.

Tekken

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users