Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Slow Computer

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 jlinno

jlinno

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:28 AM

Posted 21 January 2012 - 07:42 PM

Perodically, my computer goes into a HD access which takes over the entire system. This will last anywhere from a few seconds to a few minutes. It doesn't appear to be affected with or without connection to the internet.

I have scanned the system (AVG, Malawarebytes, Registery Error Check and Compression (Winutilitied), Chkdsk and Defrag. I notices very little improvement.

I also have my internet connection interrupted on a regular basis (Baud Rate doesn't seem to matter). Using a Netscape dialup connection.

Connection to the internet seems to have no affect good or bad.
Attached File  AutoRuns.txt   38.62KB   5 downloadsAttached File  Specy 01-21-2012.txt   36.56KB   0 downloadsAttached File  VolumeC 01-21-2012.txt   3.81KB   1 downloads

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,630 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:28 PM

Posted 22 January 2012 - 08:34 AM

Open task manager to the Processes tab and sort on the cpu column with highest usage at the top. Next time the problem occurs, look and see which process is spiking.

#3 jlinno

jlinno
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2012 - 12:22 PM

Removed AVG. Seemed to correct the excessive HD access but computer still running slow. The internet connection problem has reduced but still occurs. Will use your advice and see which process is using the most CPU and go from there. Thanks for your help.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,289 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:28 PM

Posted 22 January 2012 - 12:27 PM

FWIW: Thoughts On Slow Computers .

Louis

#5 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,630 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:28 PM

Posted 22 January 2012 - 06:42 PM

DO NOT RUN THE SYSTEM WITHOUT AN ACTIVE AV

#6 jlinno

jlinno
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2012 - 12:09 AM

Thanks for all the help. Between removing AVG and stopping start up tasks which where not needed, it seems to have solved my problem. I still have a problem with the response on the internet, but with dialup, what can I expect! Thanks again!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users