Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Network Adapter - keep losing connectivity every 10mins

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 PrettyGeek77

PrettyGeek77

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:57 PM

Posted 21 January 2012 - 06:19 PM

Toshiba Satellite L455
4GB RAM 320GB HDD
Windows 7, Intel Pentium Dual Core Processor
Realtek RLT8187B 802.11 Network Adapter
Miniport Wifi Adapter as well ???

I cannot seem to connect to any unsecured WiFi connection for longer than 10 mins at a time without the red x appearing. I try to disable and enable the adapters, I troubleshoot the network problem which will get it running again for the brief period of time, but sometimes it won't fix the issue at all when I troubleshoot. I can shut my computer down and it will temporarily fix the connection again, but sure enough little red x appears again in the icon tray. I have rolled back the drivers for the RLT8187B and tried to update, there was one instance where I saw under the configuration tab for the device that it said there was no driver installed for the Realtek adapter, yet I was able to click update and rollback and the actions were performed as if one existed? I am also perplexed as to why there are two network adapters in my computer. One was labeled the Miniport WiFi adapter... not sure the significance of it or anything like that. Any and all help that can be provided would be awesome and appreciated. If you can help me with my issue before 8:30 pm EST today that would be a miracle and I would worship the ground you walk on, as I have an online Final to take for Sociology!!!!!! LOL That's probably stretching it, but thought I'd throw that in there for bleeps n giggles

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:57 AM

Posted 22 January 2012 - 03:30 AM

I cannot seem to connect to any unsecured WiFi connection for longer than 10 mins

This could be your problem. Whatever reason is that unsecured means not the best way to expect a good running wifi connection. If it work flawlessly on own home network, then the case is its not good to piggy-back on networks w/out prior permission.

Tekken

#3 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:57 AM

Posted 22 January 2012 - 07:26 AM

Miniport Wifi Adapter

go to device manager and disable this[temporally ] and see what happens

Edited by caperjac, 22 January 2012 - 07:45 AM.

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#4 PrettyGeek77

PrettyGeek77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2012 - 10:18 AM

Hello!

Ok unsecured might have been a bad choice of words. I can't connect at home, and by unsecured network I meant at a hotel, that I paid for the connection and they gave me a passcode. I have two computers the other works perfectly fine, even here in the hotel.

In response to disabling the Mini port it didn't help the situation I tried that as well.

Any other ideas? This started happening probably about a good month ago. Although a month ago, I was at a hotel as well, as I travel once a month, and had connection with the passcode to the hotel's wifi connection for hours no problems.

#5 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2012 - 12:07 PM

Does it do it when you boot in "Safe mode with networking"?

Are there any power saving features activated for the device? Turn any power saving features/modes off for that device and see if it makes a difference.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#6 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2012 - 01:13 PM

Are there any power saving features activated for the device? Turn any power saving features/modes off for that device and see if it makes a difference.

good suggestion ,i never knew there was such setting ,as i loose my connection also ,i found the setting in device manager that said "allow windows to shut this device off to save power" a wait and see for me /,

#7 PrettyGeek77

PrettyGeek77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2012 - 01:36 PM

I already had this checked off.

#8 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2012 - 01:46 PM

I already had this checked off.

you mean, unchecked ,right ,checked off is when it has a check in the box

#9 PrettyGeek77

PrettyGeek77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2012 - 02:15 PM

Excuse me, yes unchecked is what I meant. I was thinking off as in not turned on lol...

#10 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2012 - 02:26 PM

if it were mine ,i would go to toshiba web site and get Realtek RLT8187B 802.11 Network Adapter driver for my laptop ,uninstall one on it now and installed one from toshiba .

the model you posted is Toshiba Satellite L455 but on thoshiba a see it with multiple 3 or 4 models with same first 4 numbers L455 ,but has 4 more numbers after the first 4 ,what is the full number of yours

#11 PrettyGeek77

PrettyGeek77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2012 - 02:46 PM

According to the model # on the comp, that's it there are no more additional numbers. Unless maybe it's located on a sticker somewhere? I actually went to a 3rd party website called Softpedia and downloaded the driver for it. The location under the configuration for the adapter no longer says there are no drivers for the hardware, it says this device is working properly. So that works. I can try to uninstall and re-install one more time and see if that works. However, after the first re-install of the driver, the issue still existed.

#12 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2012 - 03:03 PM

model # usually on the sticker on the bottom,if you check the link i found for support it list over 30 that start with the L455 #.the rest of the number will be needed to make sure you get the right driver .just click on the downloads link near the top of the page

http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/support/jsp/home.jsp

Edited by caperjac, 22 January 2012 - 03:08 PM.

#13 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:57 AM

Posted 22 January 2012 - 09:54 PM

According to the model # on the comp, that's it there are no more additional numbers

Hit Start and type Dxdiag on search programs and box, Enter. Look for System Model for the complete detail of your Toshiba laptop. Post the given number.

I can't connect at home, and by unsecured network I meant at a hotel

Have you tried moving to any location within the premise of the hotel where there is wifi connection? Do you have other unsecured networks shown on your network status icon?

Tekken

#14 PrettyGeek77

PrettyGeek77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2012 - 11:31 PM

I will post the full model # here tomorrow, just got back from roadtrip. But this has been an issue even at home and I was on another laptop in the same room same spot,and it picked up the signal and stayed connected not a single issue.

#15 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2012 - 12:42 AM

Toshiba Satellite L455
4GB RAM 320GB HDD
Windows 7, Intel Pentium Dual Core Processor
Realtek RLT8187B 802.11 Network Adapter
Miniport Wifi Adapter as well ???

Hi

Do you mean RLT8187B or RTL8187B ? (it's hard to know these days :) )

The drivers for the Realtek RTL8187B can be found at the bottom of this page ...

http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downloadsView.aspx?Langid=1&PFid=1&Level=6&Conn=5&ProdID=143&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false&Downloads=true

They have version 1181. If you are using a lower version, you might want to try this one.

WARNING: They also offer version 1182(Beta) which I would not try unless you are desperate.

Also, I noticed the download links only work in IE and not Firefox. Nice.

James

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users