Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer makes beep then freezes up

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 USBeep

USBeep

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:02 AM

Posted 21 January 2012 - 02:42 PM

Hello!

So here is the problem:

My computer plays the sound you hear when you plug in a new USB device. That dn-dun.

Then it locks up for about half a second, then for about 2 seconds it unfreezes, then locks up again for a half second. Then it runs smoothly.

During this time, whatever keystroke I'm pressing will repeat itself. If I'm typing an email and I type the word elephant but it does this halfway through it will input the word eleppppp (usually about 5 letters). However if I'm playing a video game and am holding down W to go forward, I will continue to go forward until I press W again. Which is pretty handy for games without auto run.

Frequency of issue:

It happens about once an hour.

Operating System

I'm using Windows 7 64 bit

What I've done so far:

I've unplugged all unnecessary USB devices. I then moved my mouse and keyboard to various USB drives to see if that would fix it.

I updated my drivers for my video card.

Since I don't think it's an external device, that's why I posted it here but I'm not certain if internal devices make that dn-dun sound.

Why it makes me sad:

It's sort of a nuisance which isn't so bad. But I just mined out 2 veins of diamonds in minecraft. It was my first discovery of diamonds. Then my computer locked up and I got stuck running forward and before I regained control I ran into lava, died, and it burned my diamonds. :(

Thank you for your time.

Edited by USBeep, 21 January 2012 - 02:44 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 a_cup

a_cup

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2012 - 04:19 PM

Hi USBeep,

Sorry about your diamonds..

A bad USB plug could be the cause..Check your USB plugs. Wiggle each one and see if you get the sound. Check task manager and see if a process is coming and going..

Pauline

#3 USBeep

USBeep
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2012 - 01:15 AM

I've wiggled away to no avail. No processes, no sound.

However something new happened prior to any wiggling or me even reading your post.

My aero theme for windows disappeared and was replaced with the standard one. Not that grey boxes that look like windows 95, but the taskbar went from pretty glass to opaque (the rest of the theme changed along with it.) I think that's the default if you have onboard video, no?

I'm going to see if I can find some way to diagnose my video card!

#4 xemiliax

xemiliax

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:02 AM

Posted 19 July 2015 - 10:46 AM

I have the same problem and i don't know what to do! D:

#5 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,129 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:02 AM

Posted 19 July 2015 - 11:29 AM

One beep usually indicates a dram problem, possible stick if ram starting to fail.  Seems you have an issue with Areo, disable it for now it is just eye candy uses resources that most do not need to waste.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#6 xemiliax

xemiliax

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:02 AM

Posted 19 July 2015 - 12:01 PM

One beep usually indicates a dram problem, possible stick if ram starting to fail.  Seems you have an issue with Areo, disable it for now it is just eye candy uses resources that most do not need to waste.

Okay thanks :) 

#7 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,129 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:02 AM

Posted 19 July 2015 - 12:18 PM

Down load and run the program below, read and follow the instructions.  This test can run quite awhile to test the ram with results at the end.  Free addition work just fine!

http://www.memtest86.com/

Edited by OldPhil, 19 July 2015 - 12:19 PM.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users