Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

While typing in gMail, a Website Flashed up on Screen

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Anonix

Anonix

• Members
  • 188 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:40 AM

Posted 21 January 2012 - 02:02 PM

Hi All -- I don't know if I have a 'problem', but thought I should report this to be on the safe side. I listed an item for sale on Craigslist with a few images attached. I subsequently received an email inquiry wanting to know the brand name of the item. I didn't know it, so wrote him back to tell him that. His second email to me was a link, which I did not click on. I was immediately suspicious because part of the link read "\scripts\" and I had never seen that before in a URL. His third email said something along the lines of..."that link I just sent you is probably the brand of the item you have for sale". Again, at no point did I click on that link (but I also didn't delete it either, because I wanted to look the URL over to see if I could figure out whether it was legit). So I opened Firefox, and typed in www and the name of the site and dot com (I did not type in the entire URL). Sure enough, there were photos of items similar to what I was advertising, but the page looked a little suspicious. For one thing, it listed all these times for sale but there were no prices. And I could not find any identifying information for the website itself (Firefox had several little icons that showed there was no information available...whatever those things are that it usually checks). Ok, that's the background.

An hour or so later, I was typing an email to someone, and in the midst of that, I hit a combination of keys, possibly by accident, and out of nowhere, that same website flashed up on the screen. I then went back to gmail, deleted the suspicious link, then updated Microsoft Security Essentials and ran a quick scan, which found nothing. It happened just the one time (that website coming up on screen while I was in gMail).

Does this mean that I picked something up while visiting that webpage? Could it have been a complete accident that I hit a combination of keys that both opened that other email AND the link (and therefore the website came up)? I ran another scan with MSE this morning, and again it found nothing.

Hopefully he was an amateur and succeeded at nothing.

Windows XP, Service Pack 3
And I keep software up to date...
Let me know if you need more identifying info...

Thanks...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users