Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Downloading and reproducing images from Microsoft Office.com

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 donaldfleming

donaldfleming

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:39 AM

Posted 21 January 2012 - 01:48 PM

I use Microsoft Publisher 2010 to publish a church magazine (circulation: around 300) which is distributed free of charge and carries no paid for advertising. In short it is not for profit.

I would like to download images from Office.com for use in the magazine. For the purpose of presentation I do not want to include the statement ‘Used with permission from Microsoft’.

Am I free to do this?

(Images: Office.com) http://office.microsoft.com/en-gb/images/

In this regard I read the Microsoft Service Agreement relating to Office.com.

http://explore.live.com/microsoft-service-agreement?mkt=en-us

The relevant section of this reads as follows:

17. Office.com and Office Web App media elements and templates

If you use Microsoft Office.com or the Microsoft Office Web Apps, you may have access to media images, clip art, animations, sounds, music, video clips, templates, and other forms of content ("media elements") provided with the software available on Office.com or as part of a service associated with the software. You may copy and use the media elements in projects and documents. You may not: (i) sell, license, or distribute copies of the media elements by themselves or as a product if the primary value of the product is the media elements; (ii) grant your customers rights to further license or distribute the media elements; (iii) license or distribute for commercial purposes media elements that include the representation of identifiable individuals, governments, logos, trademarks, or emblems or use these types of images in ways that could imply an endorsement or association with your product, entity or activity; or (iv) create obscene works using the media elements. For more information, see the Use of Microsoft Copyrighted Content webpage:

http://www.microsoft.com/About/Legal/EN/US/IntellectualProperty/Permissions/Default.aspx

I am confused as to whether the Use of Microsoft Copyrighted Content webpage is part of the terms and conditions of the Microsoft Service Agreement relating to Office.com.

If it is not part of the service agreement, it would appear that the statement ‘Used with permission from Microsoft’ need not be included. If it is, the situation might be a little more complicated.

In summary, am I free to use images from Office.com in the Church magazine without including the statement ‘Used with permission from Microsoft’?

If not, could I (at the bottom of one of the pages of the magazine) include the statement 'All images in the inner pages of this magazine are used with permission of Microsoft'?

Edited by donaldfleming, 21 January 2012 - 02:09 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 code13

code13

• Members
  • 136 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:39 AM

Posted 22 February 2012 - 01:51 AM

Right click on the image, and click view as image and save :)
The agreement basically says, you cannot sell the images as your own or use them as your own idea. Make it into a company logo or such. You MAY use it for projects and documents.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users