Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

DOS Printing to a USB printer

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 jnewell

jnewell

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:33 AM

Posted 21 January 2012 - 12:13 PM

Hi there all,
I have several old DOS programs which I still use for various reasons (eg Wordstar 5). I also have several programs I've written using GWBASIC and MBASIC. These programs were all for a DOS environment and USB wasn't probably even thought of then. I want to keep using these programs but modern computers and laptops tend not to have serial or parallel ports that older printers can connect to. Also at some point my trusty parallel DataProducts Laser printer will probably give up the ghost. The programs I have written myself contain lots of control codes to control print size, formatting etc and are written for an IBM ProPrinter emulation.

So the question is "How can I redirect/force/get around, to make my DOS programs to print to a USB printer"

Thanks ... John N

Edited by jnewell, 21 January 2012 - 12:14 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,540 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:33 PM

Posted 05 March 2012 - 09:54 PM

I found DOSPRN by Googling.
Its free & might be worth a shot
In the beginning there was the command line.

#3 The_Outkast

The_Outkast

• Members
  • 161 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:33 PM

Posted 15 August 2012 - 05:45 PM

Any chance you can connect the printers directly to the network or a print server? If not, you can share the printer from your pc, then map a LPT port to the share name.

#4 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 766 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2012 - 09:33 AM

It is both easy and hard to do this....
If you share the printer with a short name(!!!), you can then do NET USE LPT1: \\<yourcomputername>\<sharename> /PERSISTENT:YES to make the printer work. I've done this hundreds of times.
The hard part is the printer will have to have Proprinter emulation and you had better stay away from a 64 bit O/S or your programs won't work.

Edited by DavisMcCarn, 02 December 2012 - 09:33 AM.

Computer dinosaur, servicing PC's since 1976

#5 Jos Schaars

Jos Schaars

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:33 AM

Posted 05 December 2012 - 04:30 PM

Problem with NET USE is indeed that the printer can emulate a DOS printer.
DOSBox is great for running DOS programs, but mainly targetted at gaming.
If you need DOS just for serious business, I wrote my own version of DOSBox for that.
It uses another great program DOSPrinter for printing, supporting USB printers, EMF/PDF/RTF and mailing.
Configuring it to start a DOS application is a snap.
No cpu, joystick, soundblaster and all those unneeded gaming hardware settings.
Supports LPT1-9 and COM1-9 for printing.

#6 44guy

44guy

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2013 - 08:45 PM

Sir;: See my post this date, about Dos,. wp51 and x copy.  There is a printing formular in there which works to print to usb, however, it is laced with wp-51 printing symbols, which is stated as my problem.

It is a good start though.

There is printing program out of Britain called PRINTFIL which you can purchase for this purpose, but you will be paying a yearly fee.

I prefer to work this out with DOS commands, but, as my post says, I too need a little help to perfect it.

44 Guy

#7 44guy

44guy

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2013 - 08:50 PM

Will the person who wrote his own DOSBOX program to solve this dos printing problem, please let us all know how to use the program you came up with?

44  guy

#8 krbrtr2000

krbrtr2000

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:33 AM

Posted 18 September 2013 - 01:54 PM

Will the person who wrote his own DOSBOX program to solve this dos printing problem, please let us all know how to use the program you came up with?

44  guy

DOSPRN is compatible with both DOSBOX and WP51. Ask dosprn's support team about necessary settings. They answer messages during 24 hours and help all customers.

#9 44guy

44guy

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2013 - 08:24 PM

44  guy

DOSPRN is compatible with both DOSBOX and WP51. Ask dosprn's support team about necessary settings. They answer messages during 24 hours and help all customers.

If I recall, DOSPRN is not free for long, but has a monthly fee.  Am I not correct?  44 guy

#10 44guy

44guy

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2013 - 08:25 PM

44  guy

If I recall, DOSPRN is not free for long, but has a monthly fee.  Am I not correct?  44 guy

Also, what is the phone number for DOSPRN or does it have its own web site?  44 guy

#11 44guy

44guy

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2013 - 08:29 PM

Hi there all,
I have several old DOS programs which I still use for various reasons (eg Wordstar 5). I also have several programs I've written using GWBASIC and MBASIC. These programs were all for a DOS environment and USB wasn't probably even thought of then. I want to keep using these programs but modern computers and laptops tend not to have serial or parallel ports that older printers can connect to. Also at some point my trusty parallel DataProducts Laser printer will probably give up the ghost. The programs I have written myself contain lots of control codes to control print size, formatting etc and are written for an IBM ProPrinter emulation.

So the question is "How can I redirect/force/get around, to make my DOS programs to print to a USB printer"

Thanks ... John N

Sir:  Get yourself a Kyocera 1750 laser printer --you'll have to get a refurbished one.. But you can use it for wp51 and other DOS programs and, yes, it has a parallel port.  I believe a Kyocera earlier laser printer will also work in this regard.  They are terrific printers and the toner lasts a long time...The drums almost never need replacing.  I've tried different printers, but these are the best as far as I'm concerned. I have three of them in my office!  44 guy

#12 Jos Schaars

Jos Schaars

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2013 - 09:01 AM

Sorry, I didn't follow this topic.

If you're still interested in an alternative for DOSBox, you can download the program form:

http://schaars.nl/vDos.7z

Unzip the file to some directory and start the vDos executable.

Play with it, scale the font with F11/F12, print..

If it is what you;re looking for, read the readme.txt file.

And if your application is supported, it should be running in a few miniutes.

#13 Jos Schaars

Jos Schaars

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2013 - 04:42 PM

You could first get an impression at youtube:

Windows 64 bit - DOS (printing is shown twice in the second half of the video).

Watch the video's in HD!

#14 44guy

44guy

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2013 - 05:33 PM

You could first get an impression at youtube:

Windows 64 bit - DOS (printing is shown twice in the second half of the video).

Watch the video's in HD!

Mr. Sharsl: Watched your video on UTube...to be honest, it was too obscure and didn't seem to involved running the DOS version of WP51, which I use in my business.  I am not interested in running any other DOS program and being to print from WP51 in Windows 8, which does not seem to be possible.

If I could work a was to print from a new 64 bit printer, from DOS, it would be great.  In the alternative, being able to add a suitable DOS printer program to WP51 would be desirable, but the printer files in that program has different extensions...I believe they are designate .all   suffix.

Thank you.  44 Guy

#15 Jos Schaars

Jos Schaars

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2013 - 03:46 AM

I only did a quick basic test with WP51 running under vDos: can I type, save...
I didn't think it was that interesting cause there are many alternatives for it under Windows.
There's an article at wpuniversecom.
If I'm right, vDos is set to save the printer output to a file, WP51 to use a PCL driver and PCLAnyPrinterMethod to do the actualy printing.
Probably PCL is the most versatile method of printing with WP51.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users