Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Some sites do not work on computer, but work on Nintendo DS

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Nelthilta

Nelthilta

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:05 PM

Posted 21 January 2012 - 12:08 PM

Hello! I am having a problem with some websites at my house. There are certain websites I cannot access on any of the computers we have at home, but I can access them on my Nintendo DS. A few of the sites are:

www.torhead.com
www.ebay.com
www.gotmarko.com
www.questionablecontent.net

Occasionally questionablecontent.net can be accessed from a computer at home, but most of the time it cannot. None of the other websites ever work on a computer at home.

So originally I thought it was some virus that happened to be picked up on all 3 desktop computers and the laptop, and I have run multiple virus scans with AVG over the last several months to no avail. Some things were found, and removed, but the problem was not solved. I have turned off the Windows Firewall to see if I could access any of the sites at home, and that did not work either. One day at school I tried accessing the above websites on my laptop, and they worked without a problem. I also went a friend's house for a LAN 2 weeks ago, and I could access the websites on my desktop computer. It made me thing that maybe it was something with the Netgear router we are using at home. The fact that I can access the sites on my DS though makes me think that is not the problem. Just in case, I went to the router settings to see if somehow any of those sites got set to be blocked, but there is nothing on the blocked sites list for the router.

I am at a loss as to what the problem could be since they work on the DS at home, but not the computer, and the computers can access them when they are connected to the internet somewhere besides at home. When this problem first started happening, I was on 32 bit Windows XP and have since upgraded to 64 bit Windows 7, and I am still having the problem.

Any insight I can get would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 13,001 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:05 PM

Posted 21 January 2012 - 02:57 PM

One thing you can try that has worked for me and others with similar problem is changing
your DNS server. You can always revert back if this does not resolve the problem or leave it.

How to change to OpenDNS: Using OpenDNS On Your Windows Vista PC

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,764 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:05 PM

Posted 21 January 2012 - 03:43 PM

Are you using a HOSTS file? See if those entries are in the HOSTS File.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#4 Nelthilta

Nelthilta
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:05 PM

Posted 21 January 2012 - 04:12 PM

Thanks so much! Changing the DNS server worked. I do not use HOSTS. The only thing in the host file is localhost.

Thanks again. :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users