Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

dpfpapi.dll error

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 senadh

senadh

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:12 AM

Posted 21 January 2012 - 09:14 AM

Hello everybody,

Recently I have encountered this message when trying to boot my Windows 7: "C:\Windows\system32\DPFPApi.DLL is either designed to run on Windows or it contains an error. Try installing the program again using the original installation media or contact your system administrator or the software vendor for support." After this it doesn't let me do anything as message keeps repeating itself after clicking OK.

I already tried to do system restore but it didnt help.

I looked up on internet for the solution for this file and most of them recommend buying registry cleaners. However, if possible I would prefer cost-free solution and also the one that doesn't include reinstallation of Windows 7.

I already uninstalled program that I suspect might have caused problem (in safe mode).

Thanks in advance,

Senad

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,572 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:12 PM

Posted 21 January 2012 - 09:33 AM

So you uninstalled DigitalPersona Pro for Active Directory? If that's the case download & run Mike Lin's Startup Control Panel (http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml) - no installation required - and look for anything related to DigitalPersona on all tabs. If you find anything, right-click and delete the entry (or at least uncheck it) and reboot. You can then open Windows Explorer and navigate to C:\Windows\system32\ and delete DPFPApi.DLL

#3 senadh

senadh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2012 - 09:55 AM

No, it s not DigitalPersona Pro. I installed and then uninstalled Windows Office 2007 where I already had Windows Office Starter 2010. I noticed that problem started occurring after doing this.

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,572 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2012 - 10:01 AM

Do you have DigitalPersona installed? It appears that file is related to that program.

#5 senadh

senadh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2012 - 10:07 AM

Nope, but I do have DigitalPersona Fingerprint Software. Should I proceed as you wrote above?

Btw, thank you so much for helping out.

#6 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,572 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2012 - 10:09 AM

Well, I suggest you uninstall that App - it seems to be the cause of the problem. You can always try reinstalling it again later if needed - but let's see if uninstalling it clears up the error.

#7 senadh

senadh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2012 - 10:16 AM

Now it wont let me uninstall it. This is message that appears: Error 2324. Could not open file:C:\Windows\system32\DPClback.dll Get Last Error: 1006
Im trying to uninstall it from safe mode.

#8 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,572 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2012 - 10:18 AM

Okay, Try Mike Lin's Startup Control Panel and uncheck anything related to that app and see if you can then boot normally. If so, uninstall the app from regular mode.

#9 senadh

senadh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2012 - 11:26 AM

I tried Startup Control Panel in safe mode and there was no entries related to DigitalPersona. It is somewhat expected because DigitalPersona Fingerprint Software doesnt boot in safe mode. Do you have any other options on mind?

#10 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,572 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2012 - 11:33 AM

Doesn't matter if it runs in safe mode. The app lists everything in the system's startup locations. Run msconfig - do you see anything related to that app? If so, uncheck it (though I doubt you will). If not, try a selective startup with msconfig and see if you can then get it to boot to regular mode so you can uninstall that app.

Edited by Allan, 21 January 2012 - 11:33 AM.

#11 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,572 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2012 - 11:38 AM

Also, I don't know if it will run in safe mode but you can try Revo Uninstaller to get rid of that app.
http://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_uninstaller_free_download.html

#12 LucheLibre

LucheLibre

• Members
  • 608 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2012 - 12:48 PM

Autoruns might find the startup entries.

If it looks like I know what I'm doing, there's a pretty good chance the only reason for that is because
I once asked someone to run chkdsk /r and a BC Advisor smacked me in the back of the head.

~ LL ~

#13 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,572 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2012 - 01:34 PM

Startup Control Panel would have found them if they existed.

#14 senadh

senadh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2012 - 02:11 PM

Ok, this is the last try before I do reinstallation of Windows.
I managed to run Revo Uninstaller and removed the app. I also deleted DPFPApi.DLL from C:\Windows\system32.
What happens now is at the point where it is supposed to ask for fingertip the screen just starts blinking and nothing appears. After some time the window with this message pops out: "The exception unknown software exception (Oxc06d007e) occurred in the application at location 0xd5ecacd." The subject of window is: "LogonUI.exe - Application Error".

Thanks for help!

#15 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,572 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2012 - 02:24 PM

So you need the fingerprint reader to login? If that's the case, now try to reinstall the app (in safe mode if you can't boot to normal mode) and let's see if it works.

Edited by Allan, 21 January 2012 - 02:25 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users