Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP Pro install/re-install question

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 deltacoolguy

deltacoolguy

• Members
  • 128 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:10 AM

Posted 21 January 2012 - 03:33 AM

I have a 6 yr old HP laptop with Windows XP Pro. It did not come with an OS disc, but did come with the ability to re-install from the hard-drive. About a year ago I wanted to re-install the OS. What I got was what seems like a partial re-install. Unless I missed something, I was not able to do a clean re-install. It has never been right since, so I put it on a shelf and used my other laptop.

Now, I want to do a clean re-install of XP Pro. I have an XP Pro disc from another computer that has since been upgraded to Windows 7. It does not have the COA sticker, but I thought I could use that disc for a clean install and just input the correct (read: legal) codes when prompted. Apparently not.

How should I go about this? I want a clean re-install as if it had never been installed before.

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:10 PM

Posted 21 January 2012 - 06:28 AM

Apparently not.

Why, what happens?

You should be able to install from the same type of install media using the product key on the COA sticker of the computer you are re-installing onto.

If the key is not accepted, it usually means the media is for a different variety of Windows, but if I recall correctly early issues of XP used a 20 digit key whereas later releases have 25 digits, these cannot be used with each others product keys even if they are the same type of Windows installation.

Edited by Platypus, 21 January 2012 - 06:29 AM.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,734 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:10 AM

Posted 21 January 2012 - 08:11 AM

<<I have an XP Pro disc from another computer that has since been upgraded to Windows 7.>>

Depends on the origin of said disk.

If the disk is provided by an OEM system manufacturer (Dell, HP, etc.), it probably reflects drivers and software installed on the original system.

If the disk is a MS Genuine XP CD sold by Microsoft...the license is the only stumbling block I might envision.

Louis

#4 deltacoolguy

deltacoolguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 128 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:10 AM

Posted 22 January 2012 - 11:22 PM

I got an error message that the product key was not valid. It would not let me proceed beyond that.

The laptop and the disc from the desktop are both XP Pro, but I cannot say if they are exactly alike, and since I no longer have the product key for the disc I do not know if it has the same number of characters for the product key.

The laptop is HP OEM, and the disc is (I presume) genuine MS XP Pro as it was purchased/installed when I had the desktop originally custom built by a local shop. I have since had it upgraded to 7-64, and I guess they kept the old certificate sticker.

#5 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:10 PM

Posted 23 January 2012 - 02:31 AM

To use the OEM key belonging to the laptop you'd need to re-install using an OEM XP Pro CD. Retail Windows won't accept the OEM key as valid, so that's probably what is causing the problem.

Any OEM XP Pro CD you can borrow the use of could be used to do the re-install, providing it is a generic installation CD not a specific manufacturer's recovery CD, as mentioned by hamluis.

Top 5 things that never get done:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users