Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Second Opinion needed! Thank You!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3 replies to this topic

#1 ejhdez

ejhdez

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:57 AM

Posted 21 January 2012 - 12:04 AM

Hello,

First of all thank you for taking your time to read this post. I learned about your site through www.selectrealsecurity.com (Malware Removal Guide for Windows). I had a virus (Fake system check) and it hid everything from my desktop. It almost took control of my computer until I found http://www.selectrealsecurity.com/malware-removal-guide. I followed their directions step-by-step and it successfully removed the virus. I'm just scared to go online and enter passwords. I use my computer for work related purposes. Selectrealsecurity recommended to go to an expert site to post a topic and get a second opinion to make certain that the virus is gone. For peace of mind. Right now I have Avast!, Malwarebytes, Secunia System Score and Windows Firewall installed and updated. Is this enough security and how can I make sure that it is now safe to work from my computer? Any feedback will be greatly appreciated. Thank you once again :thumbup2:

Ejhdez

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,768 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:57 AM

Posted 21 January 2012 - 11:09 PM

There are no guarantees or shortcuts when it comes to malware removal. The severity of infection will vary from system to system, some causing more damage than others. The longer malware remains on a computer, the more opportunity it has to download additional malicious files which can worsen the infection so each case should be treated on an individual basis.

In any case, we can only go by what the scan logs show (what was detected/removed) and your description of whatever signs or symptoms of infection you are experiencing.

The Malware Removal Guide for Windows reference to "Get Expert Analysis" is intended for those users who want to post a DDS log for analysis.

However, DDS logs are not permitted in this forum. The Malware Response Team members are all volunteers who contribute to helping members as time permits but currently there is a backup and you may have to wait for assistance. Referrals are made to the Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs forum if we cannot assist you here and we need to use more powerful tools or you don't mind waiting.

If you do not mind waiting and want someone to check your system thoroughly, then please start a new topic and post your log in the above forum, NOT here.

If you just want to get a second opinion you can performi a scan with Eset Online Anti-virus Scanner.
  • If using Mozilla Firefox, you will be prompted to download and use the ESET Smart Installer. Just double-click on esetsmartinstaller_enu.exe to install.
  • Vista/Windows 7 users need to run Internet Explorer/Firefox as Administrator.
    To do this, right-click on the browser icon in the Start Menu or Quick Launch Bar and select Run As Administrator from the context menu.
  • Click the green Posted Image button.
  • Read the End User License Agreement and check the box:
  • Check Posted Image.
  • Click the Posted Image button.
  • Accept any security warnings from your browser and allow the download/installation of any require files.
  • Under scan settings, check Posted Image and make sure that the option Remove found threats is NOT checked.
  • Click Advanced settings and select the following:
    • Scan potentially unwanted applications
    • Scan for potentially unsafe applications
    • Enable Anti-Stealth technology
  • Click the Start button.
  • ESET will install itself, download virus signature database updates, and begin scanning your computer.
  • The scan can take some time to complete...close all programs and do NOT use the computer while the scan is running.
  • When the scan completes, push Posted Image
  • Push Posted Image, and save the file to your desktop as ESETScan.txt.
  • Push the Posted Image button, then Finish.
  • Copy and paste the contents of ESETScan.txt in your next reply. If no threats are found, there is no option to create a log.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 ejhdez

ejhdez
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:57 AM

Posted 25 January 2012 - 12:36 AM

Hello Quietman7,

Thank you for your reply. I posted a new topic in the malware removal forum and someone is helping me out. Took your advise and thanks again for your recommendations.

Thank you,

Ejhdez

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,768 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:57 AM

Posted 25 January 2012 - 11:18 AM

You're welcome.

Your log(s) is posted here and you are already getting help.

After posting a log and getting assistance, you should NOT make further changes to your computer (install/uninstall programs, use special fix tools, delete files, edit the registry, etc) unless advised by a Malware Response Team member...nor should you continue to ask for help elsewhere. Doing so can result in system changes which may not show it the log(s) you already posted. Further, any modifications you make on your own may cause confusion for the member assisting you and could complicate the malware removal process or make things worst which would extend the time it takes to clean your computer.

The Malware Response Team should be the only members that you take advice from, until they have verified your log as clean.

To avoid confusion, I am closing this topic.

Thanks for your cooperation.

Good luck with your log.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users