Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win 7 Security 2012

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
82 replies to this topic

#1 JannEd

JannEd

• Members
  • 153 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:07 AM

Posted 20 January 2012 - 08:47 PM

He! Read carefully so someone doesn't tell me to do what I have already done. A woman brought me her HP Pavillion dm4 because she has this ugly, ugly virus. I read all the fixes and downloaded what I didn't have. Sooooo I booted in to it and WHOA! At least 200 'error' boxes came up, saying a file in windows32 wasn't there. What I think now is every time that machine those files a written to the hdd. When I tried to run any of the programs and
MBAM SAS and Avira, that popup came up from the virus. I could not run anything.

So, I went to boot again and I got a screen in German which said: 'The boot sector of the disk has been recreated. Use the DOS command sys to this disk bootable to Maching. Please insert a system disk into the drive and press a button'. Then when I hit enter I got the Windows error: 'No bootable device--Insert boot disk and press any key'. She has to boot disk.

I then wanted to go to Safe mode. Yeah right, no safe mode. So then I rebooted and went into the BIOS. Here is where the answer may be. I did the HDD diagnostics tests. The long one reports no date on all the things in the list. Now I also did a sys memory test. The results were reported as: Tested memory and 4,042, 874, 880 of memory are okie dokie. Now when I go to goo ut tab, it recognizes the hdd and the dvd rom. Plus I went somewhere in the BIOS and it told me the hdd was full, so I know that virus wrote many many files to the hdd. The first virus I ever got back in '96 was like this. Mu harddrive was 850mgs, after that virus wrote many files, it reported that my had 25gig.

There are no other options with any of the f keys. I do have a system recovery option somewhere in there but I am not ready to throw in the towel!!

When I did the other laptop when he got a virus similar to this virus you guys had me download a program that I could boot into, that acted like its own partition. I can't remember what that program is. Anyone?

Jann, never ever have I seen such an intense virus.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,665 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:07 AM

Posted 20 January 2012 - 09:38 PM

Please follow the instructions in ==>This Guide<== starting at Step 6. If you cannot complete a step, skip it and continue.

Once the proper logs are created, then make a NEW TOPIC and post it ==>HERE<== Please include a description of your computer issues, what you have done to resolve them, and a link to this topic.

If you can produce at least some of the logs, then please create the new topic and explain what happens when you try to create the log(s) that you couldn't get. If you cannot produce any of the logs, then still post the topic and explain that you followed the Prep. Guide, were unable to create the logs, and describe what happens when you try to create the logs.

It would be helpful if you post a note here once you have completed the steps in the guide and have started your topic in malware removal. Good luck and be patient.

If HelpBot replies to your topic, PLEASE follow Step One so it will report your topic to the team members.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#3 JannEd

JannEd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 153 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2012 - 01:23 PM

I can't get to that guide, but if it has anything to do with getting into Windows, it doesn't matter. I cannot post loge because I cannot get into Windows, AT ALL. No safe mode, no choice so I can go into DOS for a DOS prompt. I think I will pull up my posts from a year ago to find that program that acts like a partition. Will get back to you. I don't know the proper forum for this.

Jann

#4 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,665 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:07 AM

Posted 21 January 2012 - 01:29 PM

Hold on there.
I'll report this topic to appropriate helpers.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#5 JSntgRvr

JSntgRvr

Master Surgeon General

• Malware Response Team
  • 11,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:07 AM

Posted 21 January 2012 - 03:48 PM

:welcome:

Lets give it a try. You will need a USB (Flash) pendrive.

For x32 (x86) bit systems download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool and save it to a flash drive.
For x64 bit systems download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool x64 and save it to a flash drive.

Plug the flashdrive into the infected PC.

Enter System Recovery Options.

To enter System Recovery Options from the Advanced Boot Options:
  • Restart the computer.
  • As soon as the BIOS is loaded begin tapping the F8 key until Advanced Boot Options appears.
  • Click on Repair your computer menu item.
  • Select US as the keyboard language settings, and then click Next.
  • Select the operating system you want to repair, and then click Next.
  • Select your user account and click Next.
On the System Recovery Options menu you will get the following options:

Startup Repair
System Restore
Windows Complete PC Restore
Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool
Command Prompt

• Select Command Prompt
  • In the command window type in notepad and press Enter.
  • The notepad opens. Under File menu select Open.
  • Select "Computer" and find your flash drive letter and close the notepad.
  • In the command window type e:\frst.exe (for x64 bit version type e:\frst64) and press Enter
    Note: Replace letter e with the drive letter of your flash drive.
  • The tool will start to run.
  • When the tool opens click Yes to disclaimer.
  • Press Scan button.
  • It will make a log (FRST.txt) in the flash drive. Please copy and paste it to your reply.

No request for help throughout private messaging will be attended.

If I have helped you, consider making a donation to help me continue the fight against Malware!
btn_donate_SM.gif

#6 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,934 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2012 - 06:38 PM

Hello, just letting you know I moved this topic to Here in the Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs forum where it will stay.

Please remember to click the Watch Topic button at the top right and select Immediate Notification so you do not miss any replies now that you were moved.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#7 JannEd

JannEd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 153 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2012 - 06:47 PM

@Boopme, Thank you.
@JSntgRvr, The one screens with options that I get on the machine are: Esc, which brings up a startup menu, with these options: F1 system information; F2 System diagnostics; F9 boot Device Options; F10, BIOS setup; and F11, System Recovery. The F10 at bootup does send me into BIOS. All the other F keys take me to that German error screen that says to put in a boot disk and if I hit enter at that point, I get the English version of insert a boot disk.
j
Nowhere in there is an option to get a command prompt, which I would love. So do I go to F11 to system recovery and see if it actually exists? She has no boot disk nor has she ever backed anything up. SO if I can't do a system restore or recovery, she is pretty much out of luck until she can find the boot disk.

Next option???

J

#8 JSntgRvr

JSntgRvr

Master Surgeon General

• Malware Response Team
  • 11,317 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2012 - 09:50 PM

F8 is not indicated anywhere. Only BIOS utilities are. F8 is a command that allows the BIOS to skip normal boot options to reach the Advanced Menu. As soon as you see the BIOS screen, tap on F8 every other second until you reach the Advanced menu. Then follow the instructions above.

If I have helped you, consider making a donation to help me continue the fight against Malware!
btn_donate_SM.gif

#9 JannEd

JannEd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 153 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2012 - 10:20 PM

Okay will try that. I have to tell you that BIOS does not recognize the hdd. The only place it is an option is the start up menu. And it also recognizes the Flash Drive. Back in a few.

#10 JannEd

JannEd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 153 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2012 - 10:47 PM

That didn't work. The only thing tapping f8 did was beep. I did notice that BIOS knows the OS is Win 7, other than that, the main page has only the mother board stats. I am concerned with that not recognizing the hdd thing. Is is listed in the startup menu. I have the flu, meds kicked in so I must lay down. Will be back in the morning. Thank you so far for you help!

#11 JSntgRvr

JSntgRvr

Master Surgeon General

• Malware Response Team
  • 11,317 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2012 - 11:24 PM

Okay will try that. I have to tell you that BIOS does not recognize the hdd. The only place it is an option is the start up menu.

What start menu you refer to. Is it the one with the Safe Mode Option?

As an alternate, you will need the install or recovery CD to reach the Repair Console. Would you be able to obtain one?

Edited by JSntgRvr, 22 January 2012 - 11:26 PM.

btn_donate_SM.gif

#12 JannEd

JannEd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 153 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2012 - 11:53 AM

Okay will try that. I have to tell you that BIOS does not recognize the hdd. The only place it is an option is the start up menu.

What start menu you refer to. Is it the one with the Safe Mode Option?

As an alternate, you will need the install or recovery CD to reach the Repair Console. Would you be able to obtain one?

Like I said before, the Startup Menu I get by hitting the Esc key says, f1, System Info; f2, system diagnostics; f9, boot device options; f10, BIOS setup and f11, System Recovery, which does not work. Had I ever had the option to boot into Safe Mode, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

The only thing I have are the Win 7 install CDs for another computer. I can try that to see if I can get anywhere. I may be able to find a recovery CD. I think one of my daughters may have one. It wouldn't be for a laptop, but the one has a new HP and this one I am trying to figure out is ah HP.

Jann

#13 JSntgRvr

JSntgRvr

Master Surgeon General

• Malware Response Team
  • 11,317 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2012 - 03:20 PM

The only thing I have are the Win 7 install CDs for another computer.

This CD should work to reach the Repair my computer option and the command prompt to run FRST.

btn_donate_SM.gif

#14 JannEd

JannEd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 153 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2012 - 05:15 PM

The only thing I have are the Win 7 install CDs for another computer.

This CD should work to reach the Repair my computer option and the command prompt to run FRST.

That worked to some extent. I got to a command prompt. This is what I have:
x:\Sources>
cd to C
C:\ did DIR
volume in C is System
volume serial number xxxxx
File not found
went to D
D:\
Volume D has no label
Volume serial number xx
Going to the DIR shows me what should be on C:
go to E: and I see it is the Recovery disk, at least that is what it is calling the Win 7 CD.

From here I looked for FRST, went through the whole alphabet, changed USB ports. It is not found anywhere. I tried the commend at te D and E directories. So what now?

J

#15 JSntgRvr

JSntgRvr

Master Surgeon General

• Malware Response Team
  • 11,317 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2012 - 06:46 PM

• Select Command Prompt
  • In the command window type in notepad and press Enter.
  • The notepad opens. Under File menu select Open.
  • Select "Computer" and find your flash drive letter and close the notepad.
  • In the command window type e:\frst.exe (for x64 bit version type e:\frst64) and press Enter
    Note: Replace letter e with the drive letter of your flash drive.
  • The tool will start to run.
  • When the tool opens click Yes to disclaimer.
  • Press Scan button.
  • It will make a log (FRST.txt) in the flash drive. Please copy and paste it to your reply.

btn_donate_SM.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users