Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Drive Icons Open A Search Upon Double Click?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Jimdigriz

Jimdigriz

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:56 PM

Posted 11 February 2006 - 11:52 PM

Recently, when I try to open a hard drive, by double clicking the icon in 'My Computer' a search window pops up instead of the browse window. This has something to do with folder options, but Im not sure which one, sollution?

tyvm

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:56 PM

Posted 12 February 2006 - 12:32 AM

NOTE: This is a registry edit. If you're not familiar with working in the registry, DO NOT ATTEMPT.
Improper changes to the registry could render your computer inoperable.
Remember to backup the registry before making any changes.
Instructions, on how to do that, can be found here:
Backing up the Registry

Start / Run / Type: regedit / OK
Navigate to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Drive\shell, and single click on shell.
In the right pane, double click Default.
In the box that opens, under Value data:, enter none.
Click OK.
Exit the Registry Editor.
Reboot and see if the problem still exists.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 -David-

-David-

• Members
  • 10,603 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:56 AM

Posted 12 February 2006 - 05:13 AM

Hi Jimdigriz

I hope tg1911 doesn't mind me throwing in my 2 cents. In addition to tg1911's fix, you may like to try this pre-made to put all the windows shortcuts back to their originals. Only do this if tg1911's fix does not work!:

http://www.dougknox.com/xp/fileassoc/folder_reg.zip

You have already backed up the registry, just download the file and install it (it will merge). Let me know what happens.

David

#4 Jimdigriz

Jimdigriz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:56 PM

Posted 12 February 2006 - 12:59 PM

Yeah, Tg, ty for the help -- that worked.
I believe I may have screwed something up while trying to change an OBDC timer a while ago or something..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users