Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

system utilities for linux mint 12

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 TurboChicken

TurboChicken

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:53 AM

Posted 20 January 2012 - 05:02 PM

i just recently installed linux mint 12 on a old gateway laptop i purchased from one of my friends. it is not my main computer, and i intend on using it as more of a learning tool, more or less. i have the operating system installed just fine, but before i do anything else, i was wondering what sort of software i should install as far as antivirus, disc cleanup/defragmentation, etc. how do i know if i need to install any drivers? if somebody could point me in the right direction, it would be much appreciated. thank you!

Edited by TurboChicken, 20 January 2012 - 05:04 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 stiltskin

stiltskin

• Members
  • 238 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:53 AM

Posted 20 January 2012 - 05:50 PM

Welcome to linux.

First thing to learn is, it's not Windows: no need for antivirus, defrag tools, cleanup gunk, etc. Unless you intend to connect to Windows machines/servers. Then you might install some antivirus, like ClamAV. You can cruise around the world safely as long as you avoid downloads from untrusted places and any attempts at phishing.

As for drivers, they'll mostly all be included. Again, it ain't Winders. If you need something different, then you'd have to start by knowing what it is: brand, chip type, etc are all important to figuring that out. in some rare cases one or another driver may not be included. It may or may not be in the kernel tree, but if it is it may simply be a matter of having to build it. Some hardware may require something like NDISwrapper and a Windows device driver.

But start by seeing what does and doesn't work. Then start seeking help with anything that doesn't. Always be as specific as possible, and include as much information about the device as you can garner, and name whatever steps you've already tried. A lot of times it will simply be a matter of something you missed, rather than something odd that you need to do.

#3 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:53 AM

Posted 21 January 2012 - 06:41 PM

Since Mint is built off of Ubuntu if you need "restricted" video card drivers the OS will recognize it and prompt you to install them (they even automated the install, thank god for small favors). As for WiFi if it's working don't mess with it the open source drivers for WiFi and Graphics have improved 100x compared to the days when i first started using Linux.

Everything you will want for software (most of the time) is in the repo's (repositories). Open the Desktop Menu and click on the yellow star icon and browse whats available to you.

Posted Image

#4 petewills

petewills

• Members
  • 1,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:53 PM

Posted 27 January 2012 - 02:07 PM

First thing to learn is, it's not Windows: no need for antivirus, defrag tools, cleanup gunk, etc. Unless you intend to connect to Windows machines/servers. Then you might install some antivirus, like ClamAV. You can cruise around the world safely as long as you avoid downloads from untrusted places and any attempts at phishing.

Just my opinion, prevention is better than cure. I would be inclined to install an antivirus program, anyway; Avast is just one free example.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users