Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bizarre Issue trying to install Windows7 New Harddrive

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 chrism1988

chrism1988

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:24 AM

Posted 20 January 2012 - 04:52 PM

Hey guys i'll try to make this brief,

I would say my computer knowledge is fairly good but at the moment i am pretty stumped.

A friend the other day asked me if i could help him fix his computer, He was browsing the internet then the computer all of a sudden shut down. Harddrive then showed that it wasnt bootable and was making really strange noises. Maybe the harddrive can be repaired but that is irrelevant to the situation now.

He went and purchased a new sata harddrive for the laptop. Replaced it within the laptop, The bios shows everything as normal the RAM the DVD/Rom and the Harddrive Shows also. We place the Windows 7 DVD into the Laptop and press f12 choose boot from CD. After a very long time i'm talking 5 minutes it will finally show boot from cd press any key. Which we do then it will take another extremely long time round about 15 minutes at which point it will show loading windows files and eventually load the blue windows setup screen. Note no touchpad is present. So i can navigate through the menu's to install windows get to the Drive options advanced. I can see the Harddrive there, Formatted it and then choose it to install windows too. The file copying goes to 100%. I know thehe expanding files that takes a long time but At this point it sits on expanding files 0%..., for a very long time I've left it for over an hour with no movement the LED still flickers on the DVD Drive.

Note maybe its a DVD Rom problem but im not so convinced, As when i dont put a DVD in and wait to leave it to realise the Harddrive has no OS and to prompt me to insert a bootable disk, this does not happen. It goes straight after the bios to a black screen sometimes with a flashing cursor in the top left sometimes not and does not move.

I tried to use an ubuntu cd also and it eventually came to the loading screen. Then hung for an extremely long time to which point it gave me the error message something along the lines of No live file system found? OR live harddrive found, I forget exactly.

The part that gets me as strange is the fact that the harddrive and the DVD rom are both present in the bios and i can even use the windows 7 utility on the disk to format the harddrive no problem, But when it comes to further along the line in the setup it doesnt do anything.

Any particular reason why the setup first of all takes so long to get from step to step? I have also tried another Harddrive that i know works to no avail

The laptop is an Acer Aspire 8730. 4gb Ram the Harddrive i purchased is a Seagate 500gb the laptop is by no means old.

The operating system prior was Vista

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks Chris

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Tim the Wizard

Tim the Wizard

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:24 AM

Posted 20 January 2012 - 05:13 PM

Alright here are a few things to try Chrism:

Buy a can of compressed air and blow off any vent holes on the laptop.

If you have ever installed RAM in a laptop before and you feel comfortable opening that area on the underside of the laptop, you can re-seat the RAM. Im no expert myself but it sounds like something is buggy with the RAM. If you still think it is the DVD drive can you boot from a USB drive? If so you can use a program called "Windows 7 USB DVD Download Tool", its by microsoft and you can google it. See if you can install via USB and that would narrow it down to being a DVD drive problem.

Best of luck to you.

#3 LucheLibre

LucheLibre

• Members
  • 608 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:24 AM

Posted 20 January 2012 - 05:19 PM

Here are some specific directions in line with what Tim is suggesting.

Reseat your RAM

• Important! Unplug the AC adapter and remove the battery.
  • Follow these instructions.
  • The exact placement of your plastic panel will likely be different, but the process is the same.
  • Retest and report any changes.

===========================================

Use MemTest86+ to test your memory for failure.

• Download the latest version of the Pre-Compiled Bootable ISO (.zip).
  • Locate the file you downloaded, right-click it and select Extract All. Check the box for Show extracted files when complete. Click Extract.
  • Burn the ISO file to a CD. Follow these instructions if this is new to you.
  • Boot the affected computer from the CD.
    • Repeatedly pressing F9 or F12 right after the computer is turned on is the most common way to bring up the 'boot device' menu. Choose the CD/DVD option and press Enter.
  • Memtest86+ will begin testing automatically and is designed to repeat its tests continuously. It is recommended that you allow the program to complete at least 7 'passes' before declaring the memory error-free.
    • Note: These tests can be very lengthy, often lasting many hours.
  • If Memtest finds an error, it will list it in red. There is no need to continue that test if an error is found. You may either press Esc to reboot or you may simply turn the computer off.
  • If there are errors and you are comfortable working inside the computer, begin narrowing down the error result by removing every stick of RAM except for the one closest to the CPU. Begin step #4 again. After the test, shut the computer down, remove the RAM stick, put the next one in its place, and retest. Repeat this pattern for each RAM stick.
  • Report your findings in your next reply.

====================================================

If it looks like I know what I'm doing, there's a pretty good chance the only reason for that is because
I once asked someone to run chkdsk /r and a BC Advisor smacked me in the back of the head.

~ LL ~

#4 chrism1988

chrism1988
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2012 - 05:33 PM

Ok i have just burned the Memtest and have also reseated the ram, I will post the results, just as a heads up I placed the memtest cd in the drive pressed f12 and booted to CD rom the screen was black and blank for about 5 minutes, then i had a black screen with a blinking cursor top left for 2 minutes then it finally said Loading..now the memory test is running.

#5 chrism1988

chrism1988
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2012 - 06:34 PM

Okay here are the results looks like the memory passed

Posted Image

#6 chrism1988

chrism1988
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2012 - 11:05 PM

Any other help i could have to try to determine the problem? again the problem in a nutshell is that the laptop takes a very long time to either read the dvd rom or to read the harddrive, in the bios i can see the harddrive and even use the windows 7 cd to format the harddrive (once i get that far) but when trying to copy it takes all day. When trying to use ubuntu CD it stated something about no live file system found

Its like after the bios flashes up and i press no keys the computer goes to the next step it forgets what to do and just turns completely sluggish in any actions it tries to do. I dont think the dvd drive is at fault here as everything is slow after bios disappears even if it tries to search the harddrive to find an OS to boot which it doesnt as there isnt one present it takes a very long time and does nothing.

#7 LucheLibre

LucheLibre

• Members
  • 608 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2012 - 08:46 AM

It is recommended that you allow the program to complete at least 7 'passes' before declaring the memory error-free.

If it looks like I know what I'm doing, there's a pretty good chance the only reason for that is because
I once asked someone to run chkdsk /r and a BC Advisor smacked me in the back of the head.

~ LL ~

#8 chrism1988

chrism1988
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2012 - 12:34 AM

Well i left this running all day while i went to do other things its passed 11 times now so i think we can declare the memory error free. What is next? I really dont believe its the DVD rom drive or the harddrive as i have tested both components in another laptop. It just seems like the computer has a hard time after the bios comes up deciding what to do with my actions either it be read the DVD drive or the harddrive just takes an extremely long time and eventually times out

#9 LucheLibre

LucheLibre

• Members
  • 608 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2012 - 10:46 AM

The last thing I would suggest is to look at the battery and power adapter. Is there any change is you try to run the laptop off just the power adapter?

~ LL ~

#10 chrism1988

chrism1988
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2012 - 02:30 PM

I tried that but no still the same really quite baffled

#11 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2012 - 03:12 PM

Hi

Quick question.

Does that have a fingerprint scanner on it?

James

#12 chrism1988

chrism1988
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2012 - 11:28 PM

No it doesnt.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users