Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP mode program issues

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 traja123

traja123

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:41 AM

Posted 20 January 2012 - 02:47 PM

Hi,

I am hoping someone can help. I have 2 machines both running windows 7 64-bit with XP mode installed. On one, I have successfully loaded and run my program perfectly without a single hiccup but with the other it installs fine but will not open. All I get is a fatal errorE. The same install disc was used for both machines and I have checked to verify that all files are there.

Any ideas as to what could be causing the problem? I have tried turning the guest acct on/off, the firewall is disabled, no anti-virus is running. I have checked to make sure remote desktop is enabled.

Any help would be appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:41 PM

Posted 20 January 2012 - 03:06 PM

What program?

#3 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:41 AM

Posted 20 January 2012 - 03:08 PM

Just for the heck of it, on the second system try this:

Uninstall the program
Reinstall it by right-clicking on the installer and "run as administrator"
When you try to open it, if there is still a problem try running it as admin again

#4 traja123

traja123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2012 - 04:59 PM

The program is a company specific program that we have used for a number of years. I tried uninstalled and tried installing it as admin but when you choose that option it asks for a password and if I leave it blank, it says it can't be left blank. If I use the XPMuser password it says it is not the right one. If I go into accounts, XPMuser is listed as admin and that is the only account. If I try to add one "administrator" it says XMPuser already is and won't let me.

Any other ideas??

Thank you in advance!

#5 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2012 - 05:51 PM

So this application is built in house and used only by the employee's or is it available to others?

#6 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

Bleeps with the fishes...

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2012 - 02:30 AM

Any clues in event viewer? FWIW, I had XP Mode installed on 7 Pro x64...for like 3 days... & found it to be ...well...HORRENDOUS, but I understand you need it for work.

#7 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2012 - 01:18 PM

XP Mode on windows 7 is fantastic is it fast and almost like having another machine.

#8 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

Bleeps with the fishes...

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2012 - 01:26 PM

FWIW, based on cryptodan's valued opinion/recommendation of XP Mode I decided to re-install and "play" with it. Dan is correct, I am wrong. It IS a superior program. Apparently when I installed it the first time either the d/l and/or install was somehow corrupted or I borked the settings (likely lol).

My apologies to all involved for my misinformation. :)

Edited by Union_Thug, 22 January 2012 - 06:55 AM.

#9 traja123

traja123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2012 - 10:33 AM

Thank you for all your insights. I was able to finally get it working. The computer with the issue was a Dell running windows 7 64-bit, using XP mode. I was pretty sure it had something to do with XP mode being seen as "guest computer" and some internal conflict, specific to Dell possibly. When I set the icon's compatability option to run as Windows NT 4.0, it opened first time.

#10 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2012 - 11:54 AM

What version of windows 7 are you running?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users