Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrading RAM Emachines

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 AZrox

AZrox

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:44 PM

Posted 20 January 2012 - 01:32 PM

Hello all,

I'm thinking of upgrading my RAM. Current specs are:

Motherboard: MS-7093
RAM: 512 MB Dual-Channel DDR @ 198MHz (3-3-3-8) - As shown on Speccy
Max memory: 4 GB
Processor: AMD Athlon 64, 3200+
Processor speed: 2 GHz

I had a chat session with Emachines support and they stated there 8 RAM slots available for 512 MB DDR 333/400 for each slot.

I'm just a novice with hardware. My questions are, what is (3-3-3-8)? and what does 333/400 mean?

Thanks for your support in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:44 PM

Posted 20 January 2012 - 05:55 PM

8 memory slots does not sound right. The only time I've seen that many is in Servers.

FWIW looking at images of that motherboard via Google shows four slots.

I'd go to http://www.crucial.com put in the make and model and see what they say for memory. If tech support was wrong on the slots count what else did they get wrong?

Sad to say I would trust Crucial more than what Tech Support told you.

My questions are, what is (3-3-3-8)? and what does 333/400 mean?

3-3-3-8 is a memory timing and the 333/400 is the actual memory speed that equates to also being called PC2700/PC3200 DDR.

Edited by rotor123, 20 January 2012 - 06:00 PM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 AZrox

AZrox
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2012 - 01:50 AM

I did a scan on crucial.com and it came up with a total of 4 slots as well. I also checked the spec on Speccy and it showed a total of 4 slots with 2 slots open.

I found an old hard copy I had of the specs from CompUSA.com

The memory speed states: PC3200 (400 MHz)

Memory Technology: DDR-SDRAM

I read on emachine's site the following -

"To avoid potential driver compatibility issues, the 32-bit version of an operating system limits the total available memory. If a computer has many installed devices, the available memory may be reduced to 3 GB or less."

http://emachines-us.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/262

I read in another forum on BC that 1.5 GHz of RAM is needed for Windows XP. Would you agree or would you try to max out at 4 GHz total?

I never installed RAM. What brand would you suggest or does in not matter? I found this link for a manual on my Emachine T6212. Is this manual legit or would you recommend another?

http://www.manualowl.com/p/eMachines/T6212/Manual/67195

Thanks much!

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:44 PM

Posted 22 January 2012 - 09:53 AM

If you stay with XP anything over 3 GB is wasted.
If you want to upgrade then just put two 1Gb memories in the two open slots for a total of 3Gb.

To go any higher for minimal benefit give that you would have to remove the two 512Mb memories and replace then with two 1Gb memories does not pay.

On the one Windows XP machine I use I only took it up to 2Gb total. My Windows 7 Laptops run on 3Gb and are good performers. My Desktop I'm on right now with Windows 7 has 6Gb

It looks to me that Adding 2Gb for a total of 3Gb is the most effective use of your money. Especially since you won't be able to use the memory in a new computer later.

Cheers
Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#5 AZrox

AZrox
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2012 - 11:12 AM

Thx, but some thing does not add up. If I currently have 512 MB of RAM and had 2 GB of RAM (two - 1 GB cards each) than I would have a total of 2.5 GB of RAM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users