Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Youtube Videos Constantly Buffering

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 ruanddu

ruanddu

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:37 PM

Posted 20 January 2012 - 01:01 PM

Hello,

Have a Dell Inspiron 560 that's about 1 year old. Running Windows 7. I have it hooked up to a 46" LCD TV via HDMI for watching Netflix and Youtube. When watching Youtube, it consistently has to buffer videos and as a result is hard to watch a Youtube clip without it freezing to buffer. It will buffer at different resolutions - 360, 480, etc. I have a 10 mbps wired internet to the Dell so not sure what the deal is? Netflix plays fine.

Can you let me know if there are some things I can do to fix this?

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:37 AM

Posted 20 January 2012 - 04:20 PM

I have a 10 mbps wired internet to the Dell

Hi -
Can you set the computer up to the TV and go to www.Speedtest.net -
Select your area (roughly) from the world map, and click Begin Test. What is the download reading while you have the computer on the TV -
Are you still getting 10Mbps, or is it lower on the TV connection ??

Also note that 10Mbps is about minimum required for a steady download, 14 or 18Mbps would be better for streaming -
Otherwise you may need to pause the download while your system catches up with the video.

Thank You -

Edited by noknojon, 20 January 2012 - 04:22 PM.

#3 ruanddu

ruanddu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2012 - 05:37 PM

Noknojon - thanks for replying. I found some interesting results. I have my computers all connected to a Linksys WRT54G router. I unplugged the Linksys router and hard wired the ethernet cable to my cable modem and did three speedtests and averaged between 11-16mbps. When I plugged back into Linksys router I ran three more tests and averaged 6-10 mbps. So, looks like the Linksys router is slowing me down. Do you think it's time to invest in a different wireless router, or will the same results happen, as the router feeds 2 other computers in my house? The other computers are usually left on but are not being used so am not sure if they are the cause of the slowdown or the Linksys router itself?

Thanks!

#4 LucheLibre

LucheLibre

• Members
  • 608 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:37 PM

Posted 20 January 2012 - 05:45 PM

It doesn't take 10mbps to run 480p flash videos. 1mbps will do it.

Download Security Check from HERE, and save it to your Desktop.

* Double-click SecurityCheck.exe
* Follow the onscreen instructions inside of the black box.
* A Notepad document should open automatically called checkup.txt; please post the contents of that document.

=============================================================================

If it looks like I know what I'm doing, there's a pretty good chance the only reason for that is because
I once asked someone to run chkdsk /r and a BC Advisor smacked me in the back of the head.

~ LL ~

#5 ruanddu

ruanddu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2012 - 06:17 PM

Hello LucheLibre,

Downloaded SecurityCheck.exe and ran it but comes back saying "the system cannot find the path specified...I tried on my laptop just as a test and it worked fine. Any ideas?

Thanks.

Oh and the notepad comes up empty as well...

#6 ruanddu

ruanddu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2012 - 06:25 PM

Please disregard last email, got it working. Here are results:

Results of screen317's Security Check version 0.99.24
Windows 7 x64 (UAC is enabled)
Internet Explorer 9
``````````````````````````````
Antivirus/Firewall Check:

Windows Firewall Enabled!
WMI entry may not exist for antivirus; attempting automatic update.
```````````````````````````````
Anti-malware/Other Utilities Check:

Java™ 6 Update 29
````````````````````````````````
Process Check:
objlist.exe by Laurent

AVG avgwdsvc.exe
AVG avgtray.exe
``````````End of Log````````````

Thanks again.

#7 LucheLibre

LucheLibre

• Members
  • 608 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:37 PM

Posted 22 January 2012 - 07:44 PM

The last thing I'd check is to see if it buffers across different browsers. But seeing as how your browser and flash are up-to-date, you're likely getting network congestion at some point in the line.

If you haven't already, do a network reset. Turn the computers off and pull the power cords on the modem and router, wait 10 seconds, plug the modem in, wait 30 seconds, plug the router in, wait 60 seconds, then turn the computers back on. Then retest.

If it looks like I know what I'm doing, there's a pretty good chance the only reason for that is because
I once asked someone to run chkdsk /r and a BC Advisor smacked me in the back of the head.

~ LL ~

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users