Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Learning about computers for free?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 LadySapphira

LadySapphira

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:41 PM

Posted 20 January 2012 - 11:48 AM

Hi everyone. I have some extra time on my hands and was wondering how you all learned about computers - some of you have very good answers/can really help people with their computer problems. So, I was wondering where a good place to start is. There's so much information out there and not very much guidance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:41 AM

Posted 21 January 2012 - 02:12 AM

Personally, I started by taking everyone elses junk computers and dissassembling them and re assembling them, mixing and matching until I figured out what did what etc and once I had the basics down, doing research online, (google, wikipedia, places like BC) asking friends etc. time and experience.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,259 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2012 - 07:19 AM

I bought some books on A+ certification, then I found an online course for A+ certification. It's out of business now.. But like Patriot, I started gathering my buddies old unused computers and started tearing them apart and combining them to make working ones. There is a lot of good info online. The course I was taking was $10 (US) and self paced, there are others out there and some are very affordable if you wanted to that. :blink:
"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#4 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 23 January 2012 - 07:34 PM

99.9% of what I learned was self-taught. When I got my first computer I spent the better part of 3 months exploring the computer, clicking things to find out what they were and using google to find out things. Lots of trial and error those early months but it helped me learn.

I also had 2 computer gurus. One was my then 18 year old son who usually gave me a "mom, you are so ignorant" look when I asked him questions then he wanted to do whatever for me instead of guiding me through it. I finally told him HE was new to a lot of things at one time and I didn't treat him as ignorant or stupid because he didn't know how to do them.

My other guru lived in Mississippi and I called him a lot.

I learned how to install a hard drive, replace the cmos battery, video/sound cards, my cd rom, and reinstall Windows because I was to cheap to pay someone else to do it.

Yes there is a lot of information on the net. Some of it is excellent, some is not so good. After a while you realize that there are some sites that are very reliable. I have a few I tend to use over and over.

Of course you can ask questions here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users