Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Slow deletion of book/word files from Recycle Bin?.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 bluesjunior

bluesjunior

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:37 AM

Posted 20 January 2012 - 06:44 AM

I was tidying up my book files in my Calibre library and deleted around 850MB. I noticed that the deletion process took around 5mins to complete. I thought that was strange as I have had multi GB files in my Recycle bin many times before which have taken no more than a few seconds to delete. I also make a backup of my Windows on the first of each month and delete the previous months back up which is over 50GB and this only takes a few seconds as well. I am running Win7 with 8GB of RAM and everything else on my PC runs very fast except the deletion of book/word files. Is there a logical reason for this as according to my security scans, Comodo CIS, SAS, MBAM Spywareblaster I have no infections of any kind and other than the above question no reason to believe I am infected?. Thanks in advance for any clarification on this.
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3, CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 450 Processor, Memory: OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz,Graphics: PowerColor HD 5750 1GB GDDR5,
PSU: Corsair 430W CX PSU 4x SATA 1x PCI-E, Hard Drive:Samsung SpinPoint F3 500GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 16MB Cache.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 LucheLibre

LucheLibre

• Members
  • 608 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:37 AM

Posted 20 January 2012 - 03:55 PM

Is this 850MB made up of hundreds or thousands of small files?

If it looks like I know what I'm doing, there's a pretty good chance the only reason for that is because
I once asked someone to run chkdsk /r and a BC Advisor smacked me in the back of the head.

~ LL ~

#3 bluesjunior

bluesjunior
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:37 AM

Posted 20 January 2012 - 05:10 PM

Thanks for the reply, there most likely are a lot of small files as each book I deleted has the cover, Epub and metadata file in a seperate folder. As I deleted around 300 books then that would be 1200 items. If this is the cause is there a work round?.
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3, CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 450 Processor, Memory: OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz,Graphics: PowerColor HD 5750 1GB GDDR5,
PSU: Corsair 430W CX PSU 4x SATA 1x PCI-E, Hard Drive:Samsung SpinPoint F3 500GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 16MB Cache.

#4 LucheLibre

LucheLibre

• Members
  • 608 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:37 AM

Posted 20 January 2012 - 05:13 PM

I could be wrong, of course. There could be something else at work. But, as a rule, it takes quite a bit longer to delete a thousand small files than one large one. There is no workaround that I'm aware of. It's the nature of a file system.

Edited by LucheLibre, 20 January 2012 - 05:14 PM.

If it looks like I know what I'm doing, there's a pretty good chance the only reason for that is because
I once asked someone to run chkdsk /r and a BC Advisor smacked me in the back of the head.

~ LL ~

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users