Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Safe Mode Problems *cry*

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Mudget

Mudget

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:39 AM

Posted 11 February 2006 - 10:13 PM

My computer is infected with the thoroughly annoying virus associated with the bogus SpyFalcon anti-spyware program. I want to try some of the fixes I'm finding on the forums here, but they all involve using safe mode. When I boot up the computer and select safe mode, it runs off all those .sys files as normal, and displays "press esc to cancel loading a347.sys..." or something along such lines, then the same message for d347.sys (if memory serves), which i understand is normal, but after that it just seems to pause for a few seconds and then restarts as though i had hit the restart button or something.

Does anyone know of any ways around this other than a total format? I don't have the means of backing up my hard drive other than a lot of DVDs at the moment. I haven't tried an XP installation repair yet, 'cause I can't find the damn CD, but from what I see on a few different forums, that doesn't seem to work with similar problems.

If anyone knows a possible cause for this, and/or can help fix it, please e-mail me a suggestion. This virus has got to go, and fast. I don't wanna have to buy a new copy of XP just yet, just to get rid of it. Not to mention wasting all my DVDs and possibly losing some hard-to-find downloads and personal photos, etc.

Even if you know of a way other than safe mode to stop it protecting itself while I go about the fix... I know it's a long shot. Please help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:39 AM

Posted 11 February 2006 - 10:15 PM

We have just posted a fix. Here is the link...

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/43659/how-to-remove-spyfalcon-removal-instructions/
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 Mudget

Mudget
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2006 - 12:28 AM

Yeah I've seen that one. I do believe it requires using safe mode. Hence my problem :thumbsup:

#4 -David-

-David-

• Members
  • 10,603 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:39 PM

Posted 12 February 2006 - 05:19 AM

Hi Mudget
You can try the fixes in normal mode i believe. I've seen a few cases when the user cannot access safe mode - the only way you can fix it is by running the scans and fixes in normal mode. d347.sys is a scsi (scuzzy) driver. Do you use those drivers?
Try the fixes in normal mode and let me know if you use those drivers.
David

#5 Mudget

Mudget
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2006 - 09:33 AM

I'm an out of practice IT student, haha, I can't even remember what scsi is. So I can't say whether I use 'em. Been neglecting this poor comp...

Anyway I shall try the fixes without SM, thanks for the advice.

#6 Mudget

Mudget
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2006 - 09:42 AM

Yeah fixes are no good without safe mode. Can't delete dxmpp.dll cos it's in use, and spyfalcon re-installs itself shortly after being deleted... I'll try a few more things, but does anyone know of a way I might get safe mode to boot, without having to format?

#7 -David-

-David-

• Members
  • 10,603 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:39 PM

Posted 12 February 2006 - 10:55 AM

Hi Mudget
I'm not too good on hardware. I've got an idea, but i don't want to give it to you if it's wrong. Acklan will be back on later, and he will try and help i'm sure.
David

#8 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:39 AM

Posted 12 February 2006 - 11:50 AM

Try downloading the BartPE. It will allow you to boot to a XP enviroment without starting your XP OS. This has many great tools including several antivirus, antispyware and network tools.
The Ultimate Boot Disk will also work.
All programs mentioned are free, but very effective.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#9 Mudget

Mudget
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2006 - 08:35 PM

Thanks for the help guys, I'll try those too. I've been having a little luck messing around without safe mode. By running through the fixes a couple of times and changing the order of some of the steps around, with AVG, spybot, etc. scans to get rid of the trojans that were probably downloading it again, I've managed to stop most of the symptoms... The spyfalcon program hasn't resurfaced, but one of the two system tray icons keeps resurfacing, and the popup IE browsers keep coming back. Also, no matter what I do, my IE homepage keeps changing to "about:blank" which goes to www.securityprecautions.net or some such...

I'll try those solutions though, and fingers crossed this time...

#10 Mudget

Mudget
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2006 - 10:43 PM

*Sigh*
Seems like all the symptoms are coming back sooner or later. I have downloaded the ultimate boot CD, but it doesn't boot windows unless you have a windows cd, which I've lost :thumbsup:
I don't know if the fixes can really be run from the UBCD boot environment, can they? If so could someone walk me through it?

Otherwise I guess I'll just have to go buy a new copy of windows...

#11 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:39 AM

Posted 12 February 2006 - 10:53 PM

Try downloading Puppy Linux which will boot from a cd and run from your RAM as long as you have 128M RAM (if you don't, you can increase the size of your pagefile).

#12 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:39 PM

Posted 12 February 2006 - 11:11 PM

As an aside, I recently found myself unable to boot to Safe Mode. As it turned out, the fix was to update InCD, which is part of Nero. I went to Nero's site and found the InCD update and was able to boot into Safe Mode immediately. InCD, as I recall, is necessary if you want to be able to drag files into a burnable CD folder and to use CD-RW's.

#13 Mudget

Mudget
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2006 - 01:56 AM

Herk you are my hero!! Turns out my problem must have been the same as yours. I don't know how you figured it out based on what I saw, but you are a genius and I want to have your babies.

I got safe mode going and the fix seems to have worked this time.

Love you guys, you've saved me a great deal of heartbreak!

#14 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:39 PM

Posted 14 February 2006 - 11:12 AM

I'm very happy that it worked for you. I simply researched the problem until I found a solution, genius being more perspiration than inspiration . . .

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users