Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Accidentally changed the permanent default for .exe programs on desktop

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 youngmomma

youngmomma

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:15 PM

Posted 20 January 2012 - 12:01 AM

I was trying to download a trial of adobe photo shop to do my homework and i am on my moms laptop. i went to open the program and a dialog box popped up asking what program i wanted to use to open this file, (i didnt notice the checked box at the time stating it was going to use this option for all files associated with this extension!) and the only available program that was listed was WINDOWS MEDIA CENTER and i needed to use the program so i clicked on it.... wish i wouldnt have. it changed ALL my .exe programs ie; google,firefox,system restore and now anytime i try to run anything the media center comes up!!

I have seen on the web that several other people have done the same exact thing. I was freaking out cause this is not my computer and so i went to accounts and made a new admin desktop, which thank god worked, which is what i am on now. but any solution to this problem i have found involves doing something on the actual desktop that is messed up. but i cannot open any executable files on that desktop ie;command prompt,so i cannot do anything on there.

i know there has to be some way to reverse what i did, i just need someone to walk me through the process so i dont screw the computer up any more than i already have, please help me so that my mom does not kill me..i am able to open system restore in the new desktop, i but dont think that will have any affect on the change i made let alone have an effect on the other desktop from this desktop. I also went to the place on the desktop to change the default for programs and .exe is not listed.

so any help is appreciated, im really freaking out thank you so much ahead of time, jess

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:15 AM

Posted 20 January 2012 - 12:08 AM

Download

http://www.winhelponline.com/fileasso/lnk_fix_w7.zip

Boot into account with the issue

Extract and launch lnk fix

Click YES when you get a UAC prompt

Restart your PC

Good luck

#3 youngmomma

youngmomma
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2012 - 01:52 AM

thanks i am going to try it right now and i will let you know what the result is :)

#4 youngmomma

youngmomma
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2012 - 02:24 AM

ok so no go i did everything you said i had put the file in the shared doc folder so i could access it from the messed up profile and when i clicked it at first the media center popped up but then the box asked if i wanted to run and i clicked yes then another box popped up and said registry changes could harm comp i clicked continue then an error popped up saying it was unsecessful im not sure what went wrong but please get back to me asap thank you so much for your help im sure we can figure this out just gotta figure out how i had tried to take pics of the boxes but said they were too large to upload...so the error said that it couldnt write the files because they were in use by other things,,, did i do something wrong can you maybe tell me step by step the process in which i am supposed to do this? thanks i can be a little dense some times.

#5 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2012 - 02:42 AM

Did you restart your PC?

#6 youngmomma

youngmomma
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2012 - 04:20 AM

yes i did and while i was waiting i found another reg file like the one you gave me and i put it on the desktop and right clicked and hit merge and it said succesful and i restarted and now it is fixed :) im so happy thank you for your help I appreciate it. im glad it is resolved now i felt like a complete idiot when it happened. I love knowing that i can come here anytime i have a problem and know that no matter how big or small there is always someone here who is able and willing to help :) thanks again

#7 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2012 - 04:29 AM

Happy to hear that :)

#8 vincentvgo

vincentvgo

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2014 - 11:26 AM

Just wanted to post my thanks also, as I had this problem  and was browsing for a solution and the link posted above took care of it so Thanks!! from me also.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users