Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

spontaneous reboots with win7 and Mint, Puppy and Ubuntu live CD

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 crannerw31

crannerw31

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 AM

Posted 19 January 2012 - 10:43 PM

My granddaughter's windows 7 home premium x64 was working fine. While brousing on facebook she clicked on a walmart.com link. Computer froze with a blue screen. Upon rebooting she got a 0x07E error initially. rebooting again lead to the 'start windows normally or Windows repair " dialog. Running the repair got a report that windows was unable to repair the problem. The start normlly option results in the blue screen with the 0x07E error. Starting in 'safe mode'would freeze after loading classpnp.sys.
I tried to get around the problem with a Puppy Linux live CD. It froze after first full page of loading drivers. I then tried a Mint 10 and a Ubuntu 9 dvd and each started to load but then the computer would reboot. I have not tried a boot USB drive yet but will when I get one prepared.
I ran a virus scan with MS Security essentials on the HDD after moving it as a slave to another computer. I don't know if this a hardware problem, a rootkit or?. Any help will be greatly appreciate. The computer is a two year old cheap homebuild with Phenom x4 on a Biostar MCP6PB motherboard. It has been trouble free until now.
RWCrane

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 LucheLibre

LucheLibre

• Members
  • 608 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:12 PM

Posted 20 January 2012 - 04:53 PM

Since LiveCDs don't fully load, it point to hardware issues. I suggest starting with a memory test. Also, look carefully at each component for signs of damage such as black marks and bulging capacitors. (Look up 'bad capacitors' in google images for comparisons.)

Use MemTest86+ to test your memory for failure.

• Download the latest version of the Pre-Compiled Bootable ISO (.zip).
  • Locate the file you downloaded, right-click it and select Extract All. Check the box for Show extracted files when complete. Click Extract.
  • Burn the ISO file to a CD. Follow these instructions if this is new to you.
  • Boot the affected computer from the CD.
    • Repeatedly pressing F9 or F12 right after the computer is turned on is the most common way to bring up the 'boot device' menu. Choose the CD/DVD option and press Enter.
  • Memtest86+ will begin testing automatically and is designed to repeat its tests continuously. It is recommended that you allow the program to complete at least 7 'passes' before declaring the memory error-free.
    • Note: These tests can be very lengthy, often lasting many hours.
  • If Memtest finds an error, it will list it in red. There is no need to continue that test if an error is found. You may either press Esc to reboot or you may simply turn the computer off.
  • If there are errors and you are comfortable working inside the computer, begin narrowing down the error result by removing every stick of RAM except for the one closest to the CPU. Begin step #4 again. After the test, shut the computer down, remove the RAM stick, put the next one in its place, and retest. Repeat this pattern for each RAM stick.
  • Report your findings in your next reply.

====================================================

Edited by LucheLibre, 20 January 2012 - 04:59 PM.

If it looks like I know what I'm doing, there's a pretty good chance the only reason for that is because
I once asked someone to run chkdsk /r and a BC Advisor smacked me in the back of the head.

~ LL ~

#3 crannerw31

crannerw31
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2012 - 04:07 PM

I have tried memtest 86+ ver. 4.20 and it freezes after the initial system scan. I plan to rerun it on each of the memory sticks individually. I also found a post that ver. 2.10 may avoid this problem, so I will try that also. Motherboard looks OK, no bulging capacitors. Have removed the pci-e video card and am using the onboard video. Surprisingly the UBCD 4.10 loads and ran all the utilities I tried. The Win7 boot disk and original install disks, each reboot at the end of the "Loading Windows" white bar. I have now installed the HD as a slave in another computer and run Windows Defender beta, GMER,and Sophos rootkit scanners with clean results. I haven't yet tried installing the HD as the boot disk in a similar computer. I know it probably wont boot normally due the having a similar but not identical HAL.
Thank you for yor quick response.

craner31

#4 crannerw31

crannerw31
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2012 - 10:54 PM

Problem solved, I hope. On testing the memory sticks individually, I found one was bad. After removal of it, everything seems to be going fine.
Thank you LucheLibre for your help. You got me thinking in the right direction, ie. hardware.

rwcrane

#5 LucheLibre

LucheLibre

• Members
  • 608 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:12 PM

Posted 22 January 2012 - 10:49 AM

No problem. Glad to help.

If it looks like I know what I'm doing, there's a pretty good chance the only reason for that is because
I once asked someone to run chkdsk /r and a BC Advisor smacked me in the back of the head.

~ LL ~

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users