Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problems After Reinstalling Windows

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Sierra

Sierra

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:36 PM

Posted 11 February 2006 - 09:14 PM

THE PROBLEM:
A while ago I had some pretty nasty viruses and decided that formating the drive and reinstalling windows xp was the only sollution. I was having trouble with the formating but in the end I reinstalled XP which fixed the viral problem but anything on the C drive was untouched--including my old profile.

The problem is that the reinstall got rid of the ability to to access my old profile, which would be fine if it deleted the folder in Documents and Settings, which as previously mentioned it did not. The profile was password protected before the reinstall so I can't just throw it in the recycler and forget about it. This is a problem as I have several gigs of files in there that are taking up space and degrading system performance.

WHAT I'VE TRIED:
I've gone into Safe Mode under the Administrator profile and tried accessing folder from there but it tells me that access is denied.
I've gone from there to command prompt and tried accessing it from there. Same case.
Changing permissions under the folder options. Had no effect.

I'm willing to try reformating again even though I was ultimately unable to the last time, but I am hoping that there is some fix I haven't tried. I'm mad that XP must make it so the dang administrator can't even access password protected profile folders. Any suggestions would be great, including good tech guys to take the thing to as a last ditch effort.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:36 AM

Posted 11 February 2006 - 10:05 PM

If you FORMAT use Active@KillDisk-Drive Wipe Utility or Digtal Dolly (Hard drive utility)
to wipe your drive. This will destroy ALL data on the drive including virus' and malware. You will have to FORMAT afterwards. I do this everytime I reinstall on a used drive, and recommend it as a good practice against reinfection.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:36 AM

Posted 12 February 2006 - 09:38 AM

The problem is that there is a different security descriptor used for each installation of XP - so that you can't use the credentials from one XP installation to access another one (this prevents folks from stealing your data in this way).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users