Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Web Hosting, Podcasts, and Streaming Servers.. Oh My!

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ontwoturntables

ontwoturntables

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:08 PM

Posted 19 January 2012 - 09:23 PM

Hello everyone,
My name is Anthony and this is my first post on this site, looking forward to be a part of it.
So I run a videocast on uStream.com four days a week for two hours, and the ultimate goal was to become a video podcast. So after a few months of practicing we bought a hosting package and domain from FatCow.com as advised by a podcasting friend of ours who runs an audio podcast once a week.
"Any one will be fine, the cheaper the better..." He told us..
So we bought a 12-month package from fatcow.. and i spent a few days trying to figure out concrete5, wordpress, etc.. and I finally got our page to have some minor content, and an embeded ustream player/chat but I still couldn't figure out the podcast issue.
So after reading articles all over the web I found a podcast plugin for wordpress, and uploaded our show in .mp4 format, link it in a post, and it won't play..
I rename the file slightly and re-uploaded it twice more, and it didn't even appear..
so then i contacted tech support at fatcow and the tech informed me the the server space I purchased was not a "streaming server" and could not be used for a podcast and that I needed a VPN server. He then referred me to their sister site (iPower.com I think..?) where I could get 60GB for $89/Month..
So basically I guess my questions are:
Is this really my only option for hosting a video podcast where the files are 500MB in size 4 days a week?
Would this eliminate my need for uStream completely? Meaning, would I be able to stream from my server?
What all do I need for the VPN? VMWare? New hardware?
Is the site he referred to me a reasonable price? And at this price would it be easier to have/build my own server?

Thank you for your time in reading all this. I recently graduated with an AS in Computer Networking where we learned a bit about server configuration and maintenance but this is over my head.. lol

also the site is http://www.YMFRadio.com and http://www.YMFRadio.com/wp

thanks again

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 blueskies2fly

blueskies2fly

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:08 PM

Posted 21 January 2012 - 12:57 PM

Sorry dude ~ wish I could help, but podcasts are a little out of my league, though I do know a little about WordPress. Can you use power2go (I think that's what it's called) or upload to youtube then make a link from your Web page?

#3 KamakaZ

KamakaZ

• Members
  • 739 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:08 AM

Posted 30 January 2012 - 01:00 AM

I have a mate that runs an audio podcast, he brought the unlimited package from www.tailormadesolutions.com.au only $210 for 2 years, can stream audio fine, no transfer limits either!

I have had a lot to do with Wordpress, but not concrete5, so might not be much help to you there are you seem to be using concrete5 currently?

Definately don't need a VPN and don't know why anyone would have even suggested it in the first place.

I'm only guessing, but if you had your own storage space for the podcasts, and your own plugin to present them, then yes i don't see a need for uStream.

There's no place like 127.0.0.1
There are 10 types of people in the world, those that can read binary, and those who can't.

#4 tripflex

tripflex

• Members
  • 128 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2012 - 10:58 PM

He was probably talking about a VPS not a VPN, VPN is a Virtual Private Network which is used to connect to an internal network...which would only slow things down. A VPS is a virtual private server, meaning you basically are leasing a piece of a server in a datacenter somewhere.

I have plenty of customers who have purchase a VPS from my company just because they wanted to sorta the same thing.

My question is, how many episodes do you want to have available for download at any given time? Do you want every episode available? Do you want just audio available or everything in video? If you can give me as much information as you can regarding what you "want" to do i can get you pointed in the right direction so you know you're getting your money's worth.
There's no place like 0.0.0.0, i'm tired of being at 127.0.0.1

#5 ontwoturntables

ontwoturntables
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2012 - 01:01 AM

Thank you for the replies and sorry I was so late to respond.. I lost the bookmark..

@Tripflex - Thank you for clearing that up I didn't think that made sense.. We would like to have all our episodes available at any given time (2 hours long, four days per week) in an AUDIO format because I'm realizing this will be cheaper and much easier on our subscribers.. we can do our live broadcasts still via stickam or something similar supplemental to our podcast.. thank you again for your help!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users