Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 Freezes & Locks, Requires Reboot, No Event Logs, No BSOD

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 safeskies

safeskies

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:55 AM

Posted 19 January 2012 - 06:21 PM

I ordered this computer from CyberPower. I've listed the relevant specs below. I've read a lot of other people having similar issues, but there doesn't seem to be any concrete answers. My computer randomly freezes and locks up requiring a hard reset to continue. The everything except the mouse freezes, and then eventually the mouse will too. The HDD light is inactive. Event Viewer shows nothing except "The previous system shutdown at 3:44:01 PM on ‎1/‎19/‎2012 was unexpected." This seems to happen at completely random intervals. It usually happens when I'm browsing the web or watching a streaming video (netflix), but it has also happened while loading a program or not doing anything at all. There have been only a couple consistencies. It has never done this while playing a game (I play Starcraft II and Battlefield 3). While trying to reinstall BF3 it has locked up the past 5 times I've tried to install the game.

I have reinstalled Windows. Installed current drivers. Run Memtest with no fails. Run Intel’s diagnosis software on the SSD with not issues. I’m assuming this is a hardware problem. What further troubleshooting can I do to narrow down the suspects? Thanks for the help!

While writing this post the computer crashed, but this was different as I received the BSOD. The following event log occurred at boot “The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x0000000a (0x000000003efb5004, 0x000000000000000d, 0x0000000000000000, 0xfffff800032eeb42). A dump was saved in: C:\Windows\MEMORY.DMP. Report Id: .” I don’t know if that is relevant or not.

Operating System: Microsoft® Windows 7 Professional 64-Bit
Motherboard: [CrossFireX] GigaByte GA-970A-D3 AMD 970 Socket AM3+ ATX Mainboard w/ On/Off Charge, 7.1 Audio, GbLAN, USB3.0, SATA-III RAID, 2 Gen2 PCIe X16, 3 PCIe X1 & 2 PCI
CPU: AMD FX-8150 3.60 GHz Eight-Core AM3+ CPU 8MB L2 Cache & Turbo Core Technology
Video Card: AMD Radeon HD 6850 1GB GDDR5 16X PCIe Video Card
Memory: 16GB (4GBx4) DDR3/1600MHz Dual Channel Memory (Corsair Vengeance)
Power Supply: 800 Watts - CoolerMaster Silent Pro Gold 80 Plus Power Supply (80+ Gold)
OS Hard Drive: 160GB Intel® SSD 320 Series
Data Hard Drive (including Users & ProgramData folders): 2TB SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 64MB Cache 7200RPM HDD
Optical Drive: LG UH12LS28K 12X Blu-Ray Player & DVDRW Combo Drive
LCD Monitor: 24" Widescreen 1920x1080 Asus VS247H-P LCD
Cooling Fan: Asetek 550LC Liquid Cooling System 120MM Radiator & Fan (Advanced Cooling Performance + Extreme Silent at 20dBA)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 LucheLibre

LucheLibre

• Members
  • 608 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:55 AM

Posted 19 January 2012 - 07:41 PM

How many passes did you allow Memtest to complete?

I see that you've provided your setup, but please provide a Speccy snapshot for additional needed information.

Use Speccy to provide details of your computer's configuration.

• Download, install, and run.
  • After Speccy has finished gathering information, click File > Publish Snapshot.
  • In the Publish Snapshot dialog box, click Yes to enable Speccy to proceed.
  • A web address will be displayed. Click Copy to Clipboard and paste it in your next post. Include your computer's manufacturer and model number, as well.
=========================================

If it looks like I know what I'm doing, there's a pretty good chance the only reason for that is because
I once asked someone to run chkdsk /r and a BC Advisor smacked me in the back of the head.

~ LL ~

#3 safeskies

safeskies
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2012 - 11:39 PM

Here is the Speccy report. I ran Memtest for over 5 hours, so there were multiple passes (5-6 maybe?). Also, I've monitored the temps and the computer is running cool (everything under 60 deg C at full load). There is no manufacture or model number as I built the computer through Cyberpower's website.

Speccy Report

#4 safeskies

safeskies
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2012 - 05:06 PM

I believe I have ruled out both hard drives and the memory as the culprits. I re-installed Windows on each hard drive separately and had the same problems. I also ran the system on various configurations of memory - the issue was ever present. So now I'm down to the CPU, GPU, PSU, and MB. Any suggestions on further troubleshooting. I will borrow a family member's GPU soon to test, but the components may be harder to find temp replacements. Is there another way to eliminate potential culprits? Thanks!

#5 LucheLibre

LucheLibre

• Members
  • 608 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2012 - 07:16 PM

Since we've ruled out RAM, HDDs, temperature, and software, the next component that is often the cause of random freezes is the PSU. I suggest replacing it first.

If it looks like I know what I'm doing, there's a pretty good chance the only reason for that is because
I once asked someone to run chkdsk /r and a BC Advisor smacked me in the back of the head.

~ LL ~

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,406 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:55 AM

Posted 24 January 2012 - 10:48 AM

<<I ordered this computer from CyberPower>>

When? Is there a warranty?

Louis

#7 safeskies

safeskies
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2012 - 05:12 PM

I installed my brother's PSU last night and haven't had any problems since. Probably too early to tell for sure, but it seems as if I've found the problem. I used a PSU tester with a good result. How does a PSU that tests good with a testing device create the problems I've described above? Is it maybe sending bad power every once in awhile and locking up the hard drives or something?

Also, there is a warranty, but I wanted to rule out bad part myself and contact the part manufacture directly instead of going through CyberPower (figured it might end up quicker).

Thanks!

#8 LucheLibre

LucheLibre

• Members
  • 608 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2012 - 05:22 PM

A PSU tester merely tests for basic continuity and voltage. It does not create the wattage load necessary to test if the PSU is able to maintain clean level voltages over its operation.

Edited by LucheLibre, 27 January 2012 - 05:22 PM.

~ LL ~

#9 safeskies

safeskies
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2012 - 01:25 PM

So the PSU is not the problem... I've been doing more testing and finally just put all the parts of another solid computer into mine, everything except the motherboard and cpu. This computer still crashed so the problem is definitely with either the motherboard or cpu. Is there a way, other than replacing them, to narrow the problem down further? I have run plenty of stress tests on the processor with no problems. It has never stalled on a game. The only thing that makes me think it may be the processor is that I've received a handful of BSOD's recently that state: Stop 0x00000101 "A clock interrupt was not received on a secondary processor within the allocated time interval". I've been thinking it was the motherboard, but this error sounds like a processor issue.

If there's a way to confirm one or the other I'd like to do that. The manufacturer wants me to send the whole computer in since I don't have the problem narrowed down to a specific part. If I can narrow it down to one or the other, they may just send that replacement part. Thanks!

#10 LucheLibre

LucheLibre

• Members
  • 608 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2012 - 05:03 PM

The motherboard has many more parts on it that can fail, and is often cheaper to replace, so I suggest going in that direction first.

Before you do that, however, look carefully at the capacitors for any bulging or leaking. Do a Google image search for 'bad capacitors' to compare. The tops of the caps should be flat. Any bowing outward is suspicious.

~ LL ~

#11 AUGodfather

AUGodfather

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2012 - 12:31 PM

Hi all, new here just did my 50th search for this same topic. I have been dealing with this same issue since the early part of October. I am very much convinced it is a software issue and not a hardware issue. I have totally different setup then Safeskies although we both have the same Motherboard creator. My problem started when I upgraded my motherboard and processor and went to Windows Ultimate 64. Since then I have changed EVERYTHING (save for my case).

Originally I had changed out my Motherboard. Gigabyte Z68AP-D3 and Processor only Intel i5 2400, and Ram 8gb installing Ultimate 64 on an existing hard drive. Since the problem I now have a new 1 TB hard drive, An additional 8GB Ram, A brand new corsair cooling system, brand new NVidia 2gb GT470 Video Card, (for a long time thought it might be the video card so I bit the bullet and got a new one even switched from ATi to Nvidia..no luck),a new 700 watt Power supply. Like I said everything but a new case.

I have done all memtests everything imaginable as well (pretty much everything that has already been stated in this thread). I even changed-out the motherboard, same model just new board. Same result.

Problem is I can never duplicate the issue. It happens at different times, and some days are better than others. It can go a week without locking up and then happen 3 times in one day. It is probably one of the most frustrating things I have ever encountered. There are no logs of the issue, and everytime I have to do a hard restart. It can happen while it is sitting idle or while I am in the middle of working on something.

Google Windows 7 freezing there are thousands of users with the same issue and no where have I found anyone who has posted success. Those that post a solution of some sort I have tried.

Ultimately it is why I believe somewhere there is a software issue, because there seems to be no connection between anyone having the issue. Most have different hardware. All have Windows 7 64.

Bottom line my original hope was just an upgrade for around $400, I am now at about $900 and the issue is still there. :ranting: :axe:

Edited by AUGodfather, 13 February 2012 - 12:41 PM.

#12 DaveM66

DaveM66

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2012 - 05:56 PM

If the hard drive is the problem here is a trouble shooting tutorial for recovery.
http://www.dtidata.com/resourcecenter/2012/02/10/basic-hard-drive-problem-you-need-to-format-the-disk/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users