Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Reinstalling Windows Xp Pro

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 jhdeav

jhdeav

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:19 AM

Posted 11 February 2006 - 08:23 PM

I just installed a larger HDD in my system and installed Windows XP Pro. No problem there. My question is should I go online for all applicable updates first, then install SP2 or-install SP2 then get updates? Does the order of install matter? I am asking because I only have dial-up(updates take forever) at this time and need to know if I need to take it to a friend who does have a DSL connection.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2006 - 08:45 PM

Do you have a SP2 on disk?

If not, then automatically while downloading the updates you will get SP2, along the rest of the updates.

Also, in my experience, SP2 installs much better from a disk than it does from a download. You can order a disk HERE. This, of course, would especially be the preferred course of action for someone with a slow internet connection as it is a huge download.

The preffered order of installing is Windows, SP2, updates, programs, data. In that order.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#3 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:19 AM

Posted 11 February 2006 - 08:54 PM

If you don't mind. Instal antivirus, antispywares, and firewall as the first programs to be installed. I would put the "Online scan" plugins at this time also. In some cases once the malware has installed it's self you came have a difficult time adding addional programs.
Hope you do not mind me expanding on your point Albert Frankenstein.
Here is a personal list of software I recommend. Limited but a good start...

Antivirus (Run only one.)
AVG Free Edition Antivirus (I personally use)
Avast Home Edition Antivirus Freeware
AntiVir Personal Edition Classic Freeware
BitDefender 8 Free Edition

Antispyware
Microsoft AntiSpyware Beta (2000,and XP only)
Spybot Tutorial
AdAware SE Personal Edition Tutorial
SpyBlaster Tutorial
SpywareGuard Tutorial

Trojan Removal Tool
Ewido Anti-Malware After a 14 day trial it will not scan automaticily(2000, and XP only)(Features)
A Squared Free

Online scans
Trendmicro's Housecall Internet Explorer Only
Trendmicro"s Housecall FoxFire Only
Panda's ActiveScan Internet Explorer Only
F-secure's Virus Scan Internet Explorer Only
SyGate's Trojan scan
eTrust Antivirus Web Scanner Internet Explorer Only

Removal Tools
Kaspersky Removal Tools
AVG Manual Virus Removal tool
MacAfee Stinger Virus Removal Tool
Symantec's Viurs Removal Tools
BitDefender Removal Tools Free

Utility
cCleaner
Everest Home (hardware and software information)
Belarc Diagnostic Tool
Memtest86 "A Stand-alone Memory Diagnostic"
MicroSoft's Memory Test
Digtal Dolly (Hard drive utility)
www.bootdisk.com
BIOS beep & POST codes
Firewall Security Test
Snap Backup (Backup Utility)
SpeeDefrag 2.1 (Restarts, runs, and shuts down Windows)

Firewalls (Run only one.)
Zone Alarm Free for Personal Use
SyGate Personal Free Edition (I personally use)
OutPost Firewall Free
Jetico Personal Free
Kerio Free Personal Firewall

Best of all... they are free.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#4 phantazy

phantazy

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:19 AM

Posted 11 February 2006 - 09:08 PM

I put the '.exe' files of things like Spyware blaster, Spybot and Ez AV and Firewall on a cd-rom and they are the first to go on disk, prior to going on the net. A friend got 6 viri loading a new laptop while Norton was updating!

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2006 - 09:29 AM

In general, the procedure is to install everything possible before you connect to the web. This way you've got the most protection working before you meet the threats.

When I do this, I download all of my security applications along with all the Windows Updates that I can find before I format. You may be able to do this using another computer, burning them to a CD and putting them on your system.

Once online, the first place to visit is Windows Update, then your antivirus updates, then your antispyware updates.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2006 - 11:15 AM

I am not dissagreeing with the helpful posts by others in this thread, however I have to say that if you install programs first, and then install SP2 you may run into trouble, especially if you install SP2 from a download. Some programs may not work properly after installing SP2 if you do it in that order.

Second, I gotta say that I find it hard to believe that someone got infected from updating their antivirus, however I can believe that they became infected WHILE updating thier antivirus. Subtle but important difference. I would guess that in that case they had installed their data first, which may have been infected, or they did not clear off their hard drive properly of the infection in the first place before reinstalling Windows.

I don't see the harm in ONLY going to Windows Update site before installing lots of antispyware protection.

Maybe that is an opinion, but it is one that is backed by hundreds of Windows reinstalls.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

#7 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2006 - 12:15 PM

Hi Albert!

The same here - lot's of reinstalls and did all the updating on the web. Never been infected this way either!

My point was that there is a chance - however slight - of a hacker accessing your system before you can apply the patches/updates. Based upon your and my experiences, this is a very remote possibility.

But, I've been a victim of long odds (1 in 5 million) - and don't relish it ever happening again!
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#8 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2006 - 02:36 PM

But, I've been a victim of long odds (1 in 5 million)

I hope you are referring to the lottery! :thumbsup:

Edited by Albert Frankenstein, 13 February 2006 - 02:38 PM.

ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

#9 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2006 - 03:05 PM

Nope, I should've bought a ticket that day! :thumbsup: It was the disease that messed my eyes up - one in 5 million get it, and I was the "one"! :flowers:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users