Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

American Language

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Computer-man_*

Guest_Computer-man_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 19 January 2012 - 07:56 AM

Hello There,

I have a question about the next: USA DVORAK
What for language is that?
I know that the USA people use other words than the British people, but USA DVORAK is new for me.
Do I have may your answere, please?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Galadriel

Galadriel

Bleepin Elf

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,753 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2012 - 08:03 AM

It isn't a word. It's the name of a person (August Dvorak) who came up with a different keyboard mapping scheme (as opposed to the standard QWERTY keyboard layout).
You can see the Dvorak layout here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc195139.aspx
I cemna prestar aen. Han mathon ne nen. Han mathon ne chae. A han noston ne 'wilith. - Galadriel
'The avatar is changed; I can feel it in the water, I can feel it in the earth, I can smell it in the air.'

Phear teh ceiling cat, for he is roofkittehd! - Basement Cat

I'm a Bleeping Folder, are you? - Join BC in the fight against diseases - Click here
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 Guest_Computer-man_*

Guest_Computer-man_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 19 January 2012 - 10:16 AM

Thank you for the information Galadriel.
I'm so sorry that I thought that it was a language.
Now do I know what it is.
I have a qwerty keyboard, I think that when I was so smart for select the USA DVORAK, that my keyboard won't work anymore or maybe it works, but I got than the wrong layout.

#4 Bezukhov

Bezukhov

Bleepin' Jazz Fan!

• Members
  • 2,720 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:29 PM

Posted 19 January 2012 - 12:13 PM

And yes, August was related, albeit distantly, to that other great Dvorak, Antonin.

"New World" Symphony No. 9 - Finale
To err is Human. To blame it on someone else is even more Human.

#5 Guest_Computer-man_*

Guest_Computer-man_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 19 January 2012 - 02:36 PM

Thank you for the information.
In fact is it weird that Microsoft; I suppose that it is only Microsoft that will to do that:

Take names from Componists and Conductors.

#6 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,780 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2012 - 07:39 PM

Microsoft didn't take his name. They allow you the ability to map your keyboard the way that August Dvorak envisioned the layout. At one time if you wanted to utilize the Dvorak layout you had to buy a whole new keyboard. Now you can just change a setting in the OS and pop off your keys and move them accordingly.

Another non-traditional layout is known as a Colemak keyboard. Though I doubt Microsoft has added that layout in any OS. I don't see it in my XP.

More Info:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keyboard_layout

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#7 Guest_Computer-man_*

Guest_Computer-man_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 20 January 2012 - 02:08 PM

Microsoft didn't take his name. They allow you the ability to map your keyboard the way that August Dvorak envisioned the layout.

I'm so sorry for this, I thought this because, I had via a system copy return my system back to the update of the flat system and saw by settings keyboard, the Usa Dvorak, I thought first that it was a strange language in your country and then was I reading about the context about Dvorak and thought, that Microsoft did take his name.
First: Why did I thinking that the Usa Dvorak was some or other language.? Well, in your country are many cultures, also in my country, so I thought that it was czech language and then mayby Russian.
But now do I know that I was wrong with my thought.

#8 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:29 PM

Posted 20 January 2012 - 04:54 PM

Back in the old days of manual typewriters, secretaries and typists used to always jam up the hammers with the letters on their typewriters because they typed too fast.
The QWERTY keyboard layout was actually designed to slow them down to prevent this.
The DVORAK layout is supposed to be more efficient but never really caught on.
In the beginning there was the command line.

#9 Guest_Computer-man_*

Guest_Computer-man_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 22 January 2012 - 09:12 AM

The QWERTY keyboard layout was actually designed to slow

I am so sorry eyesee, I don't understand this.
Why don't I understand? In the early year, I speak over the year 1987, had I just as now a Qwerty keyboard.
I haven't studied a type-course, I did a test with 2 fingers on my keyboard and I got 150 hits per minute.
150 hits per minute is fast, find I personal.
So now can you understand me, why I don't understand what you does mean with your text.
Qwerty keyboards are the most what will be sold of course, for me are all keyboards the same.
Hopefully can you explain, how you can see which keyboard is faster.
I am so sorry again that I asked this, but I am curious.

#10 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,780 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2012 - 01:52 PM

The reason to slow down typists was due to the mechanical actions of manual typewriters as seen below. If they were too fast the arm with the type head did not move out of the way fast enough for the next letter strike.

Posted Image

Image from: http://nostalgia049.wordpress.com/2010/09/10/manual-typewriters-almost-extinct/

also a closer view of the inner workings of a different manual typewriter.

Posted Image

Image from: http://www.techcareersblog.com/2011/05/saying-goodbye-to-icon-of-american-life.html

So if they didn't slow down it sometimes resulted in:

Posted Image

Image from: http://store.applebazaar.com/blog/2010/01/08/qwerty-keyboard-history/

Which also explains the reason for QWERTY

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#11 Guest_Computer-man_*

Guest_Computer-man_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 23 January 2012 - 05:25 AM

Thank you for your response Animal, what you told I understand and it is true.
But what I do not understand is, what has a keyboard with a typewriter to make.?
The working of a keyboard is different with a typewriter.
A keyboard is electronic and a typewriter not.
So I belief that you don't see the speed when you type on a keyboard.
In this case is it strange that when you install Windows, that you have in the setup menu the choice for Usa Dvorak and Usa international.
I don't know or the factories make a keyboard with Usa Dvorak layout, since I work with Computers from 1987 until now, did I have not seen Usa Dvorak keyboards.

#12 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:29 AM

Posted 23 January 2012 - 08:43 AM

When computers first came out, everyone was very used to the typewriter configuration, and so the computer keyboard kept the configuration for the user's benefit; early computers were strange enough for their users, so keeping the same configuration currently in general use simplified the transition.
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#13 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2012 - 10:01 PM

Thanks for the pics Animal!

Some of us older folks sometimes take it for granted that someone knows what we are talking about.
A pic is worth a thousand words.

Can I have my typewriter back now?
In the beginning there was the command line.

#14 Brewster Down Under

Brewster Down Under

• Members
  • 197 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:29 PM

Posted 23 January 2012 - 10:49 PM

Speaking of old folks Eyesee, hope no one does this. :hysterical:

Blame It On The Dog

#15 Guest_Computer-man_*

Guest_Computer-man_*

• Guests