Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 can no longer find my graphics card

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 dennisrobinson

dennisrobinson

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:09 PM

Posted 19 January 2012 - 07:37 AM

Hi, recently I had a virus that was apparently unfixable so I reformatted the hard drive by using the factory image restore option. This however made the computer unuseable as it would not even turn on. I got Dell to send me the Windows Disk and the Drivers & Utilities Disk. I reinstalled windows and the computer worked fine again....although looked a little odd in the desktop/internet. I installed my game and tried playing it but it wouldn't let me play. It says I don't have the graphical requirements...which is odd because I played the game before the computer had to be reformatted. Even when I click on solitaire I get an error message that says: "Hardware acceleration is either disabled or not supported by your video card driver, which could slow game performance. Make sure you have the latest video card driver installed and that hardware acceleration is turned on."

When I go to device manager and look at display adapters, the only thing that comes up is Standard VGA Graphics Adapter. I've tried downloading every driver from Dell and from the disc they gave me (they are the same files) I unzipped them to the location it wanted but it made no difference. Finally I sat in chat with dell support, whom I hate by the way, and he did all the same stuff I did before saying I needed to try reinstalling windows 7, but this time delete all the partitions, then reinstall the drivers. I did that...twice afterwards and nothing made a difference. If anyone has any ideas or suggestions I would appreciate it, I have been stressed out over this computer for the last month now since I can't seem to fix it. While I'm not exactly sure which video card I have, and can't see it because the computer won't display that there is one, I'm pretty sure it is either an AMD Radeon 4350 or an AMD Radeon 5450. Thank you for any help you can provide.

Dennis

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,562 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2012 - 08:33 AM

What model Dell laptop is this?

Louis

#3 dennisrobinson

dennisrobinson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2012 - 11:04 AM

I figured it out, the drivers dell told me to use weren't the right ones, I opened the case and looked at the card, it was none of the ones they listed, so I looked up the appropriate driver, downloaded, installed it and its working fine.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,562 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2012 - 11:09 AM

Nice work, glad you resolved it...happy computing :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users