Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

The President Strikes Again

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 olddog1947

olddog1947

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:25 PM

Posted 11 February 2006 - 05:37 PM

Did anyone notice that the President has again tried to slip one over on us. I happened onto this article and it scared me that he can try to do this, let alone get away with it.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/conte...6020701865.html
First Home Build Computer
Antec Case/Asus A7n8x-e/1 Gig Memory/AMD XP-2700
PNY 7600 gs Video/Creative Sound Blaster/2 Maxtor 80Gig HD
Windows XP Pro SP-2

An oldster who loves playing
with this stuff

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2006 - 01:06 AM

Got a news flash for you. Anyone who does not want to eat ramen noodles and cold cut sandwiches in thier old age is alreeady building a seprate retirement account. Those of you that are young better squirrl away $100 a pay check in a mutuail fund, IRA, 401k,... if you want any real life. It's alot closer than you think. I start a 401 when I was 17. I start with $25 a pay check and now for the pass 5 yr have been putting $500/payday.
Quit worrying what the Feds are doing and rely on yourself and not the Gov't tit. Why do you want someone who cannot take care of thier own buniess to to set you future. Take it out of thier hands.
SAVE YOUR OWN MONEY!! CREATE YOUR OWN RETIREMENT PLAN!!
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 olddog1947

olddog1947
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2006 - 01:57 PM

I totally agree with you that those people who are fortunate enough to be able to divert part of their income to a separate retirement should do so, however, there are a lot of us (Baby Boomers) who bought into the assurance that Social Security was there to take care of the people who took care of the country for their entire life. I compare this to retirement accounts offered by businesses to employees for loyalty and longevity. By bailing out of retirement commitments, businesses are creating an enviroment where the employees are going to be demanding higher wages to offset their need for maintaining their own retirement objectives.
First Home Build Computer
Antec Case/Asus A7n8x-e/1 Gig Memory/AMD XP-2700
PNY 7600 gs Video/Creative Sound Blaster/2 Maxtor 80Gig HD
Windows XP Pro SP-2

An oldster who loves playing
with this stuff

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2006 - 02:47 PM

You are spending 7.75% of everyone of your dollars not to consider the matching 16% the employer put up for SS. If you put 20% of your check away you would be filty rich at 65 yrs old. I have a retirement with my employer with draws of of my 9% contribution, plus 7.75% for SS, and I still put aside $500/bi-monthly from my two other jobs. This has nothing to do with gov vs. buniess vs. indiviual benefits. It has everything to do with education. SS is not going anywheres. The gov will not let anything happen to all of the voters.
Example: At 32years of sevice, 9% retirement contributions, = 81% of my pay check for the rest of my life. The problem is not the gov it is the morons that believe the gov can be trusted to make the right dission.
I school we mandate french or spanish. Get credit for football or baketball. Have dozen of National Clubs for kid to join. We don't teach how to handle money, keep a check book, understand the stock market. These are taught in some schools but is far from standard.
Start with manditory 4 high school years:
English. I mean real English that I third party tested so if a stundent is failing he/she can get help.
Math. I am a fire fighter/medic and only have a high education. I use Algebra DAILY, but the kids I meet coming out of school can barely grasp it.
Writing. There is a haft a dozen names for it, but 4 yrs of constructing sentences. I guess more accurate GRAMMER.
Speech. Watch any reality TV. Enough said.
Law. Spend 4 years pouring over the local State Crimmial Code and Civil Law.
Science. 4 years of biology and chemistry.
Finance. 4 years of preparing for real life. Check book, stocks, bugeting.
If you have any time left give them an hour or two to choose an elective. If you prepare the kids it won't matter what the greed #$%^&* gov does with SS.
I need and other drink. ggrr

#5 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:25 PM

Posted 14 February 2006 - 05:31 PM

What worries me is that there are major problems, of which SSS is but one, that no one on capitol hill wants to take a stand on. They seem to put their heads in the sand and hope such problems will "go away" or want to let someone ELSE tackle them so long as they keep quiet and get re-elected.

Much the same can be said for global warming and the dependence the US has for oil. The problems will not go away; do we have to get to a critical stage before our politicians even begin to DISCUSS the problem?

Regards,
John

For friend Acklan:

http://www.cnn.com/2006/EDUCATION/01/20/li...s.ap/index.html

More than half of students at four-year colleges -- and at least 75 percent at two-year colleges -- lack the literacy to handle complex, real-life tasks such as understanding credit card offers, a study found.

Yes, this requires ANOTHER drink.
John

Edited by jgweed, 14 February 2006 - 05:36 PM.

Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#6 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2006 - 05:54 PM

JohnI have the greatest respect for your opinion, but I do not think proping up a failing structure is the anwser. As long as the morons in Washington have the purse strings and do not answer to the people we will keep having problems. The problem is to many people benifit from Washington's bad disiccion.
The Federal Government should run at a minimun and let State and Local Governments have the direct contat with the Citizens. Of course the have not been doing such a great job as of late.
ggrrr. Time for another Delaware Punch.

#7 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:25 PM

Posted 14 February 2006 - 06:08 PM

Actually, Acklan, people told me that if I voted for Goldwater (way back when) things would get worse. Well I did, and they were right. So you are preaching to the choir on this issue.
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#8 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2006 - 06:16 PM

They are all the same. The only difference is in which direction the money disappears. Other than that they are all worthless.

#9 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:25 PM

Posted 16 February 2006 - 02:06 AM

I'm thinking it's obvious politics operate in an ever-increasing "layered approach".
Say 12 layers.

The top 5 are conducted off the record.
The next 3 involve the structure of government as we believe it to be designed.
2 more are at the "communication-intense" level of politicians & the media ad nauseum.
the last two represent the major parties "grassroots" action.

Basically,
none left for the citizen's direct effect on matters unless you think you can swing a caucus vote.
email the senate into action.
initiate action per constitutional rights through the courts to effect a change in this lifetime.

I'm deadset against anarchy.
Fully convinced legal action constitutes the right way to accomplish results.
Just wondering what laws among the thousands will be interpreted in such a way to further erode
commonsense regarding the budget we give those people to work with.
Which ones can actually do something to prevent it?
patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

#10 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:25 PM

Posted 16 February 2006 - 07:20 PM

SS is something Im not planning on relying on. or the government for that matter.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users