Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Infestation

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Trouthound

Trouthound

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:48 AM

Posted 18 January 2012 - 07:21 PM

So my work laptop definitely is or was infected by a virus. I first discovered the XP Home Security 2012 beastie, and rather than posting here, I unfortunately followed the steps on this forum to remove it given to someone else, using malewarebytes, etc. to remove it. Being stuck in safe mode, I then ran tddskiller, which apparently found a zero access virus. Like an idiot, I jumped ahead of myself (and the instructions) and hit cure, which probably made things worse. After that step, I rebooted into normal mode and my computer would hang if I booted outside of safe mode and my windows security/ networking/internet access was still screwed up. Needing to actually work on Tuesday, I dropped off my laptop to the company IT guy, who proceeded to amend some things in the registry, and reinstall a newer version of Symantec, which had been disabled. That fixed my networking and booting issues. Afterwards, I ran an updated symantec full scan, which identified two files of the "Trojan.Gen.2" variety, which it quarrantined. Something still isnt right, as I have still been experiencing slowness, as well as several random BSD encounters. I am hoping I can salvage this computer without having to wipe it and re-install my OS, so I am turning to this forum the proper way for assistance. I downloaded the dds.scr to get a jump start on help from this forum, but it hangs the system every time I run it. To top it off, I just got a message that one of my RAID 0 drives is failing. Fun times. Hopefully someone on here can assist. Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,428 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:48 AM

Posted 18 January 2012 - 08:42 PM

Hello, I'll be honest it looks like a lot of registry damage has been done. I would back up mt important stuff now just in case.

In stead of DDS use OTL below.
Then we;ll move to the malware forum where they can take a deeper look. Please go here....
Preparation Guide ,do steps 6 - 9.

Create a DDS log and post it in the new topic explained in step 9,which is here Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs and not in this topic,thanks.
If Gmer won't run,skip it and move on.

Let me know if that went well.

Please download OTL by OldTimer and save it to your Desktop.
  • Close all other applications and windows so that you have nothing open.
  • Double click on the Posted Image icon on your desktop.

Vista/Windows 7 users right-click and select Run As Administrator.
    If you receive a UAC prompt asking if you would like to continue running the program, you should press the Continue button.
  • Under Output, ensure that Minimal Output is selected.
  • Click the "Scan All Users" checkbox.
    Leave the remaining selections to the default settings.
  • Click the Posted Image button.
  • Do not use the computer while the scan is in progress.
  • When the scan is complete, two log files will open in Notepad:
    • OTListIt.txt <- (will be maximized)
    • Extras.txt <- (will be minimized in the Task Bar).
  • Both logs are automatically saved to the Desktop.
  • Please copy and paste the contents of OTListIt.txt and Extras.txt in your next reply.
    If the Extras.txt log is too long, you may need to add a second reply to your thread or upload it as an attachment.
  • Click the red X in the upper right corner to exit OTL.
Important: Be sure to mention that you tried to follow the Prep Guide but were unable to get DDS to run. If OTL did not work, then reply back here.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users