Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Shared Drive Not Responding.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:13 AM

Posted 11 February 2006 - 05:29 PM

Hello.

I am working on a client computer with XP Pro, the server has 2000. When accessing Word and Excel documents that are stored on the server (S: shared drive) it takes one or two minutes sometimes for the document to open up and be ready for working with. Occasionally the document won't open at all and I receive an error message that "S: drive is not responding."

Other computers on the Network do not have this issue accessing documents from the S: drive. (One computer has 2000 and two others have XP Pro).

All computers use Trend Micro Client/Server AntiVirus. Really, no other programs are running at the time usually, although sometimes the accounting software is running, doesn't seem to make a difference there.

PDF files or other files come accross just fine, it is only Word and Excel files and only with the one client machine.

This computer is only two months old, and originally had Office 2002 installed. I upgraded to 2003 and it worked right for about a day, then the problem started up again. All is well in the device manager.

Any ideas? Thanks.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:13 AM

Posted 11 February 2006 - 06:14 PM

Wired network?

How does it open Word and Excel files it stores locally? Is that a problem as well?

If it doesn't have a problem on local files it would seem to be a problem in either the nic card or router/hub possibly.

Try temporarily switching connection on the router or hub.

If the problem still exists then try updating the driver on the nic card (Ethernet).

#3 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:13 AM

Posted 13 February 2006 - 02:34 PM

Opening local files are just fine. After having opened a document from the shared drive, it then will reopen that document normally for the rest of the day (until a reboot).

Good ideas. I will try them, thanks!
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:13 AM

Posted 13 February 2006 - 10:17 PM

How about other documents on the network? Will it open them quickly after another file is accessed and Excel or Word opens for the first time?

If it works properly after you open it the first time put Word and Excel in the start menu so they start when Windows does.

Logically that should cure the problem of the wait.

Edited by Enthusiast, 13 February 2006 - 10:19 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users