Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

(partially) fried laptop

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 jephph1

jephph1

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:07 PM

Posted 18 January 2012 - 05:00 PM

Hey guys. So, a client says she was on her laptop (Asus M50V) and she smelled burning plastic, then she noticed a small flame in the back of the laptop. The flame was put out. She was able to run the computer again, but it would only run on the battery. It will not boot up when plugged in. I want to take it apart to see if there is something that can be replaced.

Do you think it would be worth taking apart, and do you know if the part that could be damaged would be replaceable? I'm guessing there was a power surge, because there was a storm that night, and she was not on a surge protector. It looks like the laptop is still functional, it just won't boot from power anymore. Any thoughts?

Thank you!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:07 PM

Posted 18 January 2012 - 05:12 PM

Pull it apart and see how bad your power socket is cracked/burned.

Power surge won't cause your problem. Good part, there is a youtube video on dissassembly for that lappy.

Edited by dpunisher, 18 January 2012 - 05:13 PM.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#3 westom

westom

• Banned
  • 105 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2012 - 08:30 AM

she smelled burning plastic, then she noticed a small flame in the back of the laptop. The flame was put out. She was able to run the computer again, but it would only run on the battery.

A wall wart power supply powers two power supplies inside the Asus. You describe one of those two internal supplies causing a fire. A major event that often results in an entire product line recall. Because nothing inside any of those supplies must ever create a flame.

Repair is typically a motherboard replacement. This failure should be reported to the manufacturer without delay. Or reported to the local safety organizations. Flame must never happen in any appliance. A failure directly traceable to gross human failure (ie counterfeit parts).

#4 jephph1

jephph1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:07 PM

Posted 21 January 2012 - 07:59 PM

Ok, I took it apart. Here are a couple of shots of the fried power jack. It looks like some plastic got in there somehow, and melted to the solder points of the power jack. Is there hope? Could I scrape off the plastic somehow, and then solder on a new power jack? Would that solve my problem? Thanks for any advice.

Attached Files

#5 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2012 - 09:47 PM

You have a couple of problems.

The fact it got hot enough to melt/burn like that likely means you have some fried traces on the motherboard. You seem to have a fair amount of SMDs mounted close to that socket as well. In the event they are not damaged/missing you will have to be very very careful cleaing the area up.

Personally, I think the board is a loss. Get the numbers from it, Google and get some prices for a used/reconditioned board to find out whether it is monetarily feasable to repair the system.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users