Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Reinstalling Drivers after fresh XP install

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Aaron_D

Aaron_D

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 PM

Posted 18 January 2012 - 04:40 PM

I have an HP Pavillion DV9000 Laptop. About a year ago, the motherboard went bad on it... apparently this is common for the DV9000 series. The computer fix-it guys replaced the motherboard with a newer motherboard (chipset??) and were able to salvage my computer.

About a week ago, my computer was slowing down drastically and I got a feeling a crash was imminent. I backed up all my files and sure enough, a few days later it wouldn't start up. So I freshly installed a copy of Win XP I got from a friend (I lost all of my reinstall discs). Now the computer is mostly up and running great, but:

Many of the drivers for various things on the computer seem to be missing, like the graphics card driver, the built in wifi/ethernet, etc. I am able to access the internet now because I bought a USB wifi dongle earlier today. Here's a snapshot of my device manager:

Posted Image

I already went through all the items with a '?' in the device manager and tried clicking on "Reinstall Driver" and having windows update search the internet for a driver to no avail.

I also checked the HP website for driver updates but none seem to recognize anything in my computer, though I only searched for DV9000 drivers (I don't know if I have an updated motherboard now, I assume I do). Your help is greatly appreciated.

Edited by hamluis, 19 January 2012 - 07:49 PM.
Moved from XP to Internal Hardware.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mark1956

mark1956

• Security Colleague
  • 271 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 PM

Posted 18 January 2012 - 05:08 PM

You may have a newer updated motherboard (as you suspect) that is fitted in a later model of the laptop, in which case all the correct drivers should be available from HP. Can you contact the guy who repaired it and find out what model the motherboard was made for?

#3 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,630 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:49 PM

Posted 18 January 2012 - 05:15 PM

Be sure go get the correct chipset driver.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,295 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:49 PM

Posted 18 January 2012 - 05:34 PM

You need the drivers for your current motherboard.

Publish a Snapshot using Speccy - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic323892.html/page__p__1797792#entry1797792 and we may get a better idea of what that board might be.

Louis

#5 Aaron_D

Aaron_D
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2012 - 12:04 PM

Ok. I am downloading Speccy as I type this. Early this morning I also called the computer repair shop that fixed my motherboard a year ago. They said they simply installed a new DV9000 motherboard that has (most likely) a newer Intel graphics chip in it.

They also said I can flip my computer over and take off the back cover, remove the RAM and look at the chip set sticker for more info, which I can do if anybody likes.

#6 Aaron_D

Aaron_D
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2012 - 12:06 PM

Here's my speccy info:

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/VPgdX1bctTdKuBBYiNiqr5v

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,295 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2012 - 01:48 PM

Drivers For XP

I would install the chipset driver first.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 19 January 2012 - 01:51 PM.

#8 Aaron_D

Aaron_D
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2012 - 03:56 PM

Well, I tried installing the NVIDIA nForce Chipset Driver and Network Controller on the HP website. Its the only chip set option for the DV9000. I am able to open the file, the NVIDIA splash screen comes up, and the instal sheild screen stays open for about 5 seconds.. something appears to unpack and then the screen closes without finishing the installation. Any thoughts?

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,295 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2012 - 05:21 PM

No idea here.

Have you tried to install any programs...do routine programs install/uninstall normally?

Louis

#10 Aaron_D

Aaron_D
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2012 - 07:45 PM

Yes. All of my programs are working fine. I've installed firefox, Microsoft Office, etc. The only actually functionality I'm not getting is:

A) Because I couldn't install the graphics card driver, I can only set my screen resolution to either 800x600 or 1024x768. I used to be able to set it at 1440x990 and I believe I had a special NVIDIA icon in my control panel that gave me extra graphics options.

B) I can't access the web through my built in ethernet card (neither plugged in or WIFI work). But after purchasing a USB wifi dongle, I am able to access the web.

#11 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,213 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:49 AM

Posted 19 January 2012 - 08:45 PM

I tried installing the NVIDIA nForce Chipset Driver... Any thoughts?

I'm thinking that an nVidia chipset driver won't install onto an Intel chipset.

The Speccy report clearly says:

"Chipset Vendor: Intel Chipset Model: GM965"

and "Motherboard Manufacturer: QuantaModel: 30D5 (U2E1)"

I'm not in a position to search at the moment (at work), but if someone can cross reference the board model, you should be able to locate the drivers. DV9000 will probably be a family of models based on a common chassis - I think mine is a DV9824

Edited by Platypus, 19 January 2012 - 08:45 PM.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#12 Aaron_D

Aaron_D
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2012 - 10:01 PM

Thanks for the suggestion, Platypus. I went to Intel's website, where there is a Java module that can detect if there are drivers either not installed on your computer or that need to be updated that are supported by Intel. Ran the scan. You can see in the screen shots below that the intel chipset drivers are I guess already installed and updated for my computer...

Posted Image

Posted Image

#13 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,295 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2012 - 10:56 AM

Sorry about that...I wasn't paying attention to the detail.

I searched yesterday, trying to get a handle on drivers for that board...no such luck. All I could ascertain is tbat it's the board for the DV9000 and HP doesn't seem interested in providing a lot of data on it. That's the only reason I went back to the HP driver support.

Try using this tool to find drivers, http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00033108&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&os=228&product=1842189&rule=34629&sw_lang= .

Louis

#14 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:49 PM

Posted 20 January 2012 - 12:59 PM

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchResult.aspx?lang=eng&keyword=%22gm965%22 for video

Go here and download the Chipset ID utilities http://downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchResult.aspx?lang=eng&keyword=%22chip+id%22

Once both the Chipset & the Video drivers are installed then look at the rest of the yellow marks.

Attached File  DevMan.jpg   110.66KB   4 downloads

Once you have the hardware IDs then the maker and particular driver can be indentified.

In the sample above the 10DE id's the maker ID and the rest breaks it down to what model the hardware is.
For example Intel hardware starts with 8086.

I haven't used this site before but it is in the Green with WOT and Avast WebRep.
How To Find Unknown Device Drivers By Their Vendor & Device ID
http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/how-to-find-unknown-device-drivers-by-their-vendor-device-id/

I suggest steering clear of any website but the makers website for drivers.

Edited by rotor123, 20 January 2012 - 01:21 PM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#15 chrism1988

chrism1988

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2012 - 05:57 PM

When i reformat and have internet access i use

http://www.innovative-sol.com/drivermax/

You will have to register an account they recently changed it to only 2 drivers per day but even if you dont use it to download them in the scan window it will tell you what pieces of hardware they are.

Its free

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users