Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to get data off Internal Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 revolution2718

revolution2718

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:27 AM

Posted 18 January 2012 - 04:34 PM

So my Asus EEE 1001PXB died the other day. I got a new netbook by Acer, but I want to get some of the data off of the old hard drive and onto an external or even straight onto the new netbook.

Question is, what is the best way? I have thought about buying a SATA to USB adapter, if I connect the hard drive to this and then into another computer would that allow me to easily transfer the data? Or would the windows install get in the way?

Any advice or ideas is appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:27 AM

Posted 18 January 2012 - 06:49 PM

Personally I would get a external 2.5" drive enclosure and turn it into an external hard drive rather than buying a EHD and a USB to SATA adapter.

Win, Win, Get your data and have a external hard drive for backups.

No the windows install won't get in the way, However you may have to take ownership of the folders to get your data off. Windows 7 for example makes that pretty easy.

Edited by rotor123, 18 January 2012 - 06:50 PM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 revolution2718

revolution2718
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2012 - 11:49 PM

Thanks for the idea.

When you say take ownership of the folders, not sure what that means. I'm going from XP on the old HDD to windows 7, if that makes a difference.

#4 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,253 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2012 - 07:21 AM

Sometimes when you access another hard drive the way you want to, some files will not let you access them or even show they are empty folders. You take "ownership" of those files and folders so you can access them.
Here is a link on how to do that with Win7. It's not hard, scroll down a little to see the instructions. :blink:

HERE
"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#5 Chase_Wheeler

Chase_Wheeler

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2012 - 09:24 AM

I posted on a topic just like this yesterday, I will attach it to the bottom of this post but it has almost all of the information that you need to recover data from a drive, this is about an external hard drive that went bad but its the same concept, infact the external hard drive is a laptop hard drive.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic438223.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users