Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to get XP working on Windows 7 PC?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 7bleepinguser7

7bleepinguser7

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:03 PM

Posted 18 January 2012 - 03:34 PM

I would like to install windows XP professional on an HP G71 notebook PC. The problem here is that I need to find some kind of SATA dirver to work with the PC's Hitachi hard disk. Without the driver, the XP setup program will be unable to recognize the disk. Unfortunately, the system's BIOS menus do not include a compatibility feature for this purpose. The system is running Win 7 64 bit and the XP install media is 32 bit. So, what I need is a source of drivers to use and a means to load them. The computer, being a recent laptop, does not have a floppy drive and I do not have a USB floppy. Is there any way to load the drivers (assuming I can find any) without using a floppy disk/drive?

On a side note: GRUB should be able to handle selecting between Windows 7 and XP during startup, right? I've used GRUB enough to know that it recognizes operating systems quite well.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:03 AM

Posted 18 January 2012 - 03:47 PM

You will need to get a USB Floppy for this to work.

Or you can slipstream via http://www.nliteos.com/

#3 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:03 PM

Posted 18 January 2012 - 04:39 PM

HP only shows drivers for win7 for your laptop ,no XP drivers or even vista for any of the laptops devices ,so it may not even run winxp .
what version of win7 is it running, 7 home or priemum or one the better one like ultimate or pro ,if it has pro or higher you will be able to use winxp mode from within win7 ,if not the you can use windows virtual machine .
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/download.aspx

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#4 7bleepinguser7

7bleepinguser7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2012 - 06:57 PM

Thanks for the replies. I've already tried running XP from Virtual PC. It works surprisingly well (even given that both products are form the same company) but the biggest problem is the performance hit. There was too much crashing/lagging on the XP machine in Virtual PC. My edition of Windows 7 does not include XP mode.

Is there anywhere besides HP where I can get the drivers? I've tried Google but I'm feeling unlucky with the results. Perhaps the drivers simply do not exit.

#5 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2012 - 07:06 PM

What is it that you are trying to do?

#6 7bleepinguser7

7bleepinguser7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2012 - 07:12 PM

What is it that you are trying to do?

I might try slipstreaming or possibly find a USB floppy somewhere. But I need the SATA drivers for either of these options to work. Since the HP website does not have XP compatible drivers for my machine, I am looking for an alternative source (if such a source exists).

#7 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2012 - 07:14 PM

By doing what is it that you are wanting to use XP for?

#8 7bleepinguser7

7bleepinguser7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2012 - 07:18 PM

By doing what is it that you are wanting to use XP for?

Great question.
It's something of a "why not" for me. I have an extra XP licence laying around, and I thought it would be neat to have a tri-boot configuration (Linux, XP, 7). Nothing really important or anything.

#9 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2012 - 07:27 PM

Please perform the following, so that we can get the exact specs of your computer. This will better assist us in helping you more.

Publish a Snapshot using Speccy

The below is for those who cannot get online

Please take caution when attaching a text file to your post if you cannot copy/paste the link to your post, you will need to edit it to make sure that your Windows Key is not present.

#10 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2012 - 09:12 PM

Great question.
It's something of a "why not" for me. I have an extra XP licence laying around, and I thought it would be neat to have a tri-boot configuration (Linux, XP, 7). Nothing really important or anything.

I have a similar setup but for XP I use Virtualbox which I have installed on both Windows 7 and Ubuntu 11.10 so no matter which of those I boot into, I can run the same XP VM from either. I have not had any performance issues or errors but I can not run 3d games in it. I'm hoping that changes someday :) I have no problems doing basic dev work or surfing the internet.

James

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,131 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2012 - 07:06 AM

FWIW: HP does not list any XP drivers for that system.

Louis

#12 akoch

akoch

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2012 - 05:40 PM

Hours of google searching and persistence has helped me in similar situations. Slipsteaming with NLITE is typically the best solution once you find your controller drivers, as then you have a self-sufficient reinstall disc.

#13 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:03 PM

Posted 19 January 2012 - 05:56 PM

speaking or google i just found this ,
http://tinyurl.com/6uky8mt

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#14 hamluis

hamluis