Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot connect to internet after adding a switch.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 acesup_11

acesup_11

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:21 PM

Posted 18 January 2012 - 12:40 PM

I have been running a Linksys E2000 wireless N router flashed with DD-WRT for about a year now with ATT uverse DSL. I have filled all the ports on the router and needed to add a switch. I bought a TRENDnet TEG-S80G Switch 8-Port Gigabit GREENnet 10/100/1000Mbps 8 x RJ45 8K MAC Address Table 128KBytes Buffer Memory from new egg and connected one of the ports from the router to the 1 slot on the switch. I get lights on the switch but then nothing could connect to the internet through the router or switch. Also the router would not pull an IP from the dsl modem anymore. I tried hooking a laptop up to the modem directly and no problem pulled an IP right away. I then disconnected the switch and almost right away the router pulled an IP and everything was back online. I was wondering what I am doing wrong if someone could help me out I would greatly appreciate it.

Edited by acesup_11, 18 January 2012 - 12:41 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acesup_11

acesup_11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2012 - 09:43 AM

do i possibly have just a bad switch?

#3 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2012 - 09:26 PM

I would tend to think there is some issue with the switch since the problem geos away when it is removed. I have never seen an unmanaged switch have this issue when hooked up as you describe
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users