Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Got a problem with the fan on the processor

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Dhianne

Dhianne

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:23 AM

Posted 18 January 2012 - 11:56 AM

Few months ago, my PC was in a mess like it shuts off itself or sometimes when i turn it on and the windows logo appears, suddenly it will shuts off so i wud turn it on but same thing happened again and again. So I patiently wait and do the on and off until it opened perfectly... i scanned it coz maybe it is suffering from viruses but nothing was detected but even though it opened and i was able to browse it is still breaking down in the midst of doing something. I was really really desperate to find what really the problem is so i opened the system unit and find what's wrong with the internal hardware, i even took out the RAM and rub it with the eraser (LOL) coz it might solve the problem and i clean the whole thing inside the system unit.. i checked each hardware and wiring but they are all okay, the last thing i moved was the fan of the processor.. i cleaned it with the paint brush and i noticed that everytime i brush the dust in the fan.. the fan moves, it was not like that before coz we all know that the fan is tightly lock over the processor so i found out that the problem is not the fan but the black square on the motherboard that surrounds the processor in able to hold the fan tightly(the one that the fan hooks up before locking) its hard to explain but i know u guys know what's that thing is :) .. a hole in that square that is necessary for the fan to lock was broken, that hole broke that made the fan not completely attached and lock to the motherboard. so i tried to fixed it with the steel wire and made a manual lock so it would'nt fall off but still it was shutting off.. i browse the net to find some solutions and i did one those ive read.. i put a mini electric fan facing inside the system unit to supply additional air to lessen the temperature.. and amzingly its working.. the PC now is not shutting off but my problem now is.. THIS MINI ELECTRIC FAN CANNOT STAY FOREVER AS PART OF MY PC (LOL) .. what should i do??? pls help!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:23 AM

Posted 18 January 2012 - 01:39 PM

It sounds like you are describing a Pentium 4 processor.

You need to buy the replacement part. Most likely one of these. I am putting this link just for an example. I personally do not buy on Ebay.
http://www.ebay.com/sch/items/p4%20bracket?_dmd=1&_sop=12&clk_rvr_id=307920539619&MT_ID=69&crlp=16847580695_9405&tt_encode=raw&geo_id=1&keyword=p4+bracket&adgroup_id=4507775375

Notice that there are different methods of holding them to the motherboard too. Some use a Push pin ans some use screws. Be careful taking off the old one. If it uses push pins do not try and pry it off of the Motherboard. do not pry at all, you will damage the motherboard.

You also need to clean off the old heat sink compound and replace it with fresh. Isopropyl Alcohol 90% or better alcohol works real good to clean off any residue.

A local shop around me in the USA charges $60 +/- parts and labor to do the repair. I'm mentioning that to you in case you do not feel comfortable doing it yourself.

Good Luck.
Roger

Edited by rotor123, 18 January 2012 - 01:40 PM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users