Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CPU overheating on wake from sleep mode

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 lavenderkae

lavenderkae

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:03 PM

Posted 18 January 2012 - 11:45 AM

I have my computer set to sleep after 30 mins of idle so that it won't stay on all night. But lately when I wake it in the morning, I have noticed the cpu temperature steadily rises over 2-5 mins until it gets so hot the computer shuts itself off without even performing a crash dump first. I started using Coretemp to monitor it to discover this when the shutdowns started, and WhoCrashed to try to figure out the crashes (but since its not creating a report that doesn't work). I normally run below 40 for idle and below 50 at load, but after waking from sleep it starts in the 30's and just keeps climbing without the fan ever becoming more audible or seeming to react. Its not a false reading either - you can SMELL it getting hot, thats why I got Coretemp involved in trying to figure it out.

It is now doing this every single time it sleeps, whereas before it was more random. After it shuts off (or I shut it off to protect it), and cools off for a few mins, I turn it back on and can hear the cpu fan kick on in high gear for a while then gradually slow down - interestingly it it does not kick in like that during the overheating after wake.

So... what would cause the cpu fan to fail to compensate for overheating ONLY after waking from sleep mode?!

Computer Specs:
AMD Phenom II X4 965, 3.4 GHz
4 GB RAM
Windows 7 64bit with SP1
ATI Radeon HD 5770

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:03 PM

Posted 18 January 2012 - 06:44 PM

Hi

Before replacing the fan, look at the manual for your motherboard and see if it has special BIOS settings for the CPU fan. If it does, then you might find a solution there. For example, some motherboards have a feature for setting the CPU fan to quiet mode and I could see this causing a problem with a fan that is sticking slightly and gets a bigger kick of voltage when booting than it does when waking from sleep.

If you are uncomfortable with looking at your BIOS settings, I can tell you how to proceed safely.

Have you looked at the fan? If it has a wire or cable rubbing against it or has a lot of dust on it, that may cause it to be harder to start spinning when waking than when normally booting (the initial surge of voltage can be different).

If you open it up to look at the fan, be sure to turn it off, unplug it from the wall, push the power button to make sure any residual power is drained, touch the metal casing first (in case you have static electricity built up in your body) and use a pen or pencil to see how easily the fan spins.

James

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users