Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot view files after Security Virus attack

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 JDaKiss09

JDaKiss09

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:49 PM

Posted 18 January 2012 - 08:51 AM

Over the weekend my home computer was infected with the XP Security 2012 virus. I tried to get rid of it and I finally decided with wasn't worth the hassle, I had all important files on 2 external hard drives well before the virus as after several scans on the computer and both external hard drives I unplugged the hard drives and factory restored the computer. When I bring everything back up and plug the externals in to transfer files there are no files shown on the externals (or if there are so much is "missing"). When you click on Properties it shows you that there IS data on the drives but I cannot see anything. I've tried everything I can think of and I'm about to pull my hair out. I did a Google search late last night and there was a forum that said go to the command prompt and and a cskdsk on the drive. I did this before calling it quits and going to bed and of course this morning the computer had to do updates shortly after so this morning I redid the cskdsk before leaving for work. I know the files are on the drive as my husband tried running a virus scan this morning and it scanned on the files, we just cannot see them.

Can someone give me some ideas on how I can see the files on this drive. I'm going insane trying to figure it out.

Thanks in advance!

Edited by hamluis, 18 January 2012 - 10:18 AM.
Moved from XP to Am I Infected.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JDaKiss09

JDaKiss09
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2012 - 01:47 PM

So I ran the cskdsk and it shows I do have files on the device like I thought. I went to show hidden items and they are there. Now how do I make them accessible again? They are all "greyed" or "faded" out. Is there a special process I need to do?

#3 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2012 - 01:56 PM

Press Windows+R key and type

cmd and click ok

Now run this command

attrib -h c:\*.* /s /d

Replace c with your External drive letter

if your external drive letter is G,your command will be

attrib -h g:\*.* /s /d

That should unhide your files.

Download malwarebytes from here and run a full scan

http://www.malwarebytes.org/

Good luck

Edited by narenxp, 18 January 2012 - 01:57 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users