Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer won't boot beyond Safe Mode

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 jambla

jambla

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:20 PM

Posted 18 January 2012 - 08:42 AM

My husband noticed that our computer was running slow and rebooted it. When he did - it would start the welcome screen and then it would just go black. I tried to boot up in Safe Mode, ran Malewarebytes, it said the computer was clean. Then I tried to boot up in Safe Mode with Networking to update the definitions for Malewarebytes, and it doesn't open any applications - black screen. Thanks for your help in fixing this.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:20 AM

Posted 23 January 2012 - 01:40 PM

Hello jambla,

It looks as if it's been a while since you posted this.

If you still need help, what is your computer make and model number?

When you went into the Advanced Options screen where "Safe Mode" is listed did you try "Last know Good Configuration"?

If that doesn't work, enter "Safe Mode" and try to do a System Restore:
(Click Start-->All Programs-->Accessories-->System Tools-->System Restore-->Select "Choose a different Restore Point"--> Next --> check "Show restore points greater than 5 days." Now select a date before the problem started then click "Next."

Regards,
Brooks

#3 jambla

jambla
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:20 PM

Posted 25 January 2012 - 10:49 AM

Yes - I did still have the issue and this fixed it. It took a LONG time for system restore to even come up after I selected the option, so I was giving up, but after seeing your reply I just clicked on it and let it sit and it eventually popped up and I was able to get the computer running. Thank you so much!

#4 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:20 AM

Posted 25 January 2012 - 12:45 PM

Great news! Posted Image

If you feel that the computer might be infected, you should post in Bleeping Computer's Am I Infected Forum? They are very good there.

Regards,
Brooks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users